NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some may remember my other post about a month ago. I was afraid I blew a head gasket due to frothy oil.
My other post... http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/74434-when-am-i-gonna-get-caught-up-repairs.html

Well the car had been running great. Yesterday I took it on a 50 mile roadtrip watched a basketball game and back home with No issues..ran great.
Last night we got 6 inches of snow again.

Today it was single digit weather again. started the VW and left it idle about 20-30 minutes while I cleared the snow. Took the bug for a ride and the oil light came on within a few miles. Brought it back home and the oil wasn't as Bubbly as last month but definitely had bubbles.

Let it be for a couple hours while I went and cleared more snow. when I got home I checked the oil and it looked fine (no bubbles and correct level).

Took it for a 5 mile drive with no problems- no oil light coming on.

Any suggestions of what is going on? Is the 0w40 not right for it? should I be using 5w or 10w? The car runs great. It has about 118,500 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might add the only 2 times I saw this happening is after leaving the car "warm up" and idle for 20-30 minutes in the driveway. Does this have any thing to do with the bubbles? any other time I get in and go, or maybe a 5 minute idle before leaving

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
When you say the oil is bubbly, what are you looking at? Under the oil cap or on the dipstick? At this time of year I always find some amount of the yellow goo or water drops under the oil cap. I have also noticed some of the goo on the middle part of the dipstick, well above the oil level marks.

Have you taken off the oil separator and PCV tube and cleaned them out like I described in the link from your previous thread?

The oil you are using is fine. No need to change. I never let my engine idle that long before driving. My car is inside at night, but the coldest afternoons here are about 5°F. Even at that temperature I will start it up, hold the idle at 1500 rpm for about 30 seconds and then drive. I don't think letting it idle is really warming it up that quickly. At low temps it won't warm up until it is driven.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say the oil is bubbly, what are you looking at? Under the oil cap or on the dipstick? At this time of year I always find some amount of the yellow goo or water drops under the oil cap. I have also noticed some of the goo on the middle part of the dipstick, well above the oil level marks.

Have you taken off the oil separator and PCV tube and cleaned them out like I described in the link from your previous thread?

The oil you are using is fine. No need to change. I never let my engine idle that long before driving. My car is inside at night, but the coldest afternoons here are about 5°F. Even at that temperature I will start it up, hold the idle at 1500 rpm for about 30 seconds and then drive. I don't think letting it idle is really warming it up that quickly. At low temps it won't warm up until it is driven.
The bubbles are on the dipstick. I did have some yellow goo under the cap that I cleaned. I also noticed if the oil cap is overtighttened, the whole housing rotates and the pcv tubes could become kinked off. So I made sure this was not the case.

I am just so confused what is happening. I do have a new sensor to install. Since it had not been an issue again, i was going to wait until the next oil change to install the sensor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the link for my DIY:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/59278-yellow-goo-what-do.html

In order to open up the PCV hose so that the crankcase can vent you need to take it apart as I describe and clean it out. You cannot clean it all out just by taking the oil cap off.
Thanks again for the link and suggestions. When this 1st occurred and I found the yellow Goo, I used your link and cleaned the goo.

No more goo at this point but the oil light came on and found bubbly oil on the dipstick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts