VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....Probally a zillion of these..but....Hers the info....Battery replaced less then 2 yrs. ago...
Its a volks battery from dealer...
Load tested battery after trickle charging this morning...was ok.
checked for a parisyticle drain....only a few mila volts( computer I understand.....
checked charging rate was ok...14.1....90,000 miles.....what the heck is goin on?...Now I'am afrid to use car & get stranded !...thnx in advance.....

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
So, the car doesn't start? Can you describe; when and how (e.g. morning, after driving around, etc)? Is the battery running low and how does the starter act (e.g. slow turn over, clicking noise, etc)? It could be the starter going out and not a charging issue; when mine failed, the starter progressively turned slower, slower and I assumed it was the battery. A starter test; showed it was the starter, going out and it failed. I went with a oem Bosch rebuilt unit and haven't had any problems since. If it does; end up being the starter, go with a high quality Bosch starter. You can look up the correct part number; here:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto

I would run down to your nearest auto a parts store and have them test the starting and charging system. That would rule out a bunch of things and see what the results are. If you are afraid of getting stranded; have someone follow you with jumper cables or a jump box of some sort. Let us know; the results of the testing and we can go from there. Thanks! :)

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:bug no start

Drove car Friday (4/29)...Parked car from Friday afternoon till midnight Friday nite start of sat morning went to go to work & car barely turned over,,,volt meter said it was around 10 volts or less...Came home sat morning and charged batt up with a trickle charger.
after charge started car no was totally fine...did it a few times...Load tested batt.. and was doing ok....let sit for the afternoon...went out a little awhile ago and volt meter dropped to 9-10 volts!
Checked battery and noticed a bad draw on batt ...around 4.16 amps....Pulled a few fuses...all above batt...all didn't make a change..
Pulled a few fuses at fuse panel in car...no change....going to recharge battery up and leave it disconnected & see if battery is shorted out/draining on its own....any thoughts at this point?.....thnx Billy.....

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re Battery dead no start

Battery is toast....holds a charge for a few hrs and everything works..then starts to drain ..checked for draw on battery..4.16 amps ...Must be a short/cell in batt ..or whtever..its gonzo!...Now the fun begins dealing with the dealership ..Batt is only 2 yrs old ...
Orginal batt lasted 5.5 years..and only changed tht because it was getting old....worked ok though....

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Yeah, I remember; my original VW branded stock battery, didn't last terribly long and I chose a aftermarket battery, because of that I went with a Autozone Duralast Gold as it had a full free
replacement warranty and the "Gold" version, was the only battery they offered for my car. I'm not necessarily recommending Autozone Gold Batteries; it was convenient and I got a good price on it. I know in the Bay Area; O'Reilly Auto Parts seems to be everywhere, you might see what they have to offer and hopefully there is one close by.

Batteries, don't seem to last terribly long (3 to 5 years?); so, you might get a battery from a auto parts store, that is close by and that would make the ease of testing, replacement and warranty returns convenient for you.

Genuine Volkswagen Parts are backed by a Volkswagen 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty. So, you maybe out of warranty on the battery; if you are out of warranty, you might look elsewhere for a battery with a higher full replacement warranty. Some genuine VW parts are worth purchasing but with such a low warranty on a automotive battery, in this case I don't see the benefit.

VW Genuine Parts | Find Volkswagen OEM Parts Online

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: battery /no start

Billy....Again very good info..Your probally correct on the battery issuie.I try and keep with genuine Vw parts for my bug but u nailed it on the battery issue.
The only reason I went with the dealership battery was because of availability & making sure it fit!The battery set up in the bug is a royal PIA.!No room to be messing around..
So I went with the original battery..
The orginal battery lasted 5.5 yrs...this one only lasted 2 yrs...but it did come with a 3yr warranty....
QUESTION?...The battery u bought from autozone...did it fit ok?...was it exactly same size as a stock/original battery for ur bug?There are Autozones around here & I have in the past few yers been doing business with thm....thnx bud

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Yes, it fit fine; it took them a little research to get the correct size but it is in my car now, fitment is perfect. Well, it sounds like your VW battery; is still under warranty, you should go your vw dealer for a warranty return and get you back on the road! :) If my memory serves; I was out of warranty, when my original VW failed and a new VW battery, didn't have a very long warranty and it cost more than other brands, so I went aftermarket. It seemed the battery died prematurely and with a short warranty, higher cost; it didn't make financial sense.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Billy....Again very good info..Your probally correct on the battery issuie.I try and keep with genuine Vw parts for my bug but u nailed it on the battery issue.
The only reason I went with the dealership battery was because of availability & making sure it fit!The battery set up in the bug is a royal PIA.!No room to be messing around..
So I went with the original battery..
The orginal battery lasted 5.5 yrs...this one only lasted 2 yrs...but it did come with a 3yr warranty....
QUESTION?...The battery u bought from autozone...did it fit ok?...was it exactly same size as a stock/original battery for ur bug?There are Autozones around here & I have in the past few yers been doing business with thm....thnx bud
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello VW brother! I just came across your post, and was curious if VW made good on the battery and since it was under warranty if they took the old one out and installed the new for free? Reason I ask is because like you said it is a pita to put in! I done mine but i sure hope i get 5 yrs out of it because i am not looking forward to doing it again!
And by the way i went with Advance Auto pArts best battery and it is going on 2 yrs now. You should have seen their face when i ask them if they were going to install it for me since they usually install their batteries for free! :D

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re Battery

Volks did honer the waranty...quite well in fact....They just gave me a brand new one no charge!My dealership here in san jose is really a good one.....

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re:battery

Billymade---so u have been around here at one time?...thts cool...My problem is gone & car starts purfect ...Its holding a charge & has been ok for at least a few months....thts of course after (2) new batteries from the dealership of course.
I put the first one in & had the same problm as the bad old battery....go figure.I then took it back to dealership & THEY put ina another brand new battery...I dont know what else they did and they never said anything...& nothing was listed on work order...all free so I was good!...thnx agian Billymade!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to hear the dealer replaced the battery. I have a 2007 and replaced mine in 2012 with one that was a little short (I don't have a reliable dealership around here--they break stuff on my car and tell me to prove it was them who did it.) None of the chains found the right height either. I just used a block of wood under it. It's still going strong. The old one may not start the Beetle, but it still had/has enough to start enough a 326 in an old Pontiac engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts