NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"Whoooaaa!"--R.Flair 1987
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm trying to decide what to do about the sun baked bugs on the front end. Should I use a bug off? What do I scrub with? I would like to prevent any more scrathes (black- car!!!!!):scared:

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
There are several "Bug and Tar" removers available at your local auto parts store. I recommend starting with a cool car, not baking in the sun for a while, and then let the remover soak in for a little while. Don't let it dry though. You should be able to just wipe them off with a clean soft cloth after that.

·
I AM SMILEY MAN!!!
310 Posts
Also, most of the bug tar removers will also strip off the wax. Rewaxing is a must. Speaking of which... time to claybar the car before winter... be back in several hours...

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
Meguiar's Quik Detailer has always worked for me.

same shpeal - wait til its cool, let it soak but not dry.

however Quik Detailer doesn't wear away the wax like the bug and tar removers do.

when i do need a hardcore bug remover, the turtle wax brand bug & tar remover is what i use. it does eat wax.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
follow-up on the Quik Detailer-

i got some of tht sucky headlight sealer goop on the bumper when i hcanged out a headlight. I knew from experience Quik Detailer takes it off, so i went at it.

Man is that some nasty goop. as you're rubbing it, you think its gone but it just smeared some more.

anyhoo - thats not my point. eventually it all came off, and after i was done i wiped up the overspray. it just so happened that this little bit of spray had hit some dried on bugs (been there for more than 2 weeks). they came right off when i wiped it up.

conclusion: Quik Detailer is some awesome stuff - AND it doesnt eat wax. in fact, its made to help your wax in between waxings.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... claybar. I just did that three weeks ago. Great stuff... however, if you have ANY rock chips where the white underneath the paint shows ... be CAREFUL! It will help the chip chip more. >_< ... did this on one of my nasty chips. :( Poop. It also takes the paint pen repaint stuff off of chips. Heh. That is when I threw mine across the yard (the paint pen).

·
Registered
4,397 Posts

That's one a claybar looks like. You can get them from several places. www.zainostore.com www.griots.com (I think that's the address).

You can also pick up a kit from Mother's or Meguires at a local parts store. I've found the Zaino and Griots to be the best. The others seems to deterioate rather quickly.

Basically, you use a soap/water solution to spray on the paint (keep the car wet/lubricated) then rub the claybar over the area. It picks up a lot of the crap that you don't want on the car. They work great!

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
It makes the paint really really smooth. Better than the day you bought it! ... it takes of contaminates and yucky stuff - old wax, dead bugs (if you missed them while washing), tar .... However, it takes forever ... and, you HAVE to wax afterwards. :p

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
digitalputty said:
It makes the paint really really smooth. Better than the day you bought it! ... it takes of contaminates and yucky stuff - old wax, dead bugs (if you missed them while washing), tar .... However, it takes forever ... and, you HAVE to wax afterwards. :p
Takes forever, but well worth it. I usually dedicate an entire day to clay barring and waxing (I have a couple of beetles to do). Clay bar at least once a year is the best thing you can do for your beetle...well besides frequent washing and oil changes:p

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Yeah. I do mine twice a year. Once after winter ... and before winter. :p So ... May-ish and September-ish. :) I try to wax probably 4 times a year. But, it hard to do when it is 30degrees F outside and snowy! :p

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
manoverboard987 said:
follow-up on the Quik Detailer-

i got some of tht sucky headlight sealer goop on the bumper when i hcanged out a headlight. I knew from experience Quik Detailer takes it off, so i went at it.

Man is that some nasty goop. as you're rubbing it, you think its gone but it just smeared some more.

anyhoo - thats not my point. eventually it all came off, and after i was done i wiped up the overspray. it just so happened that this little bit of spray had hit some dried on bugs (been there for more than 2 weeks). they came right off when i wiped it up.

conclusion: Quik Detailer is some awesome stuff - AND it doesnt eat wax. in fact, its made to help your wax in between waxings.
Thanks for the info. I'm heading out today to purchase Meguiar's Quik Detailer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts