NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my 2000 bug won't start, quite often. just about every time i go out to a few stores per day. I don't know why? any ideas? I just brought it to the shop yesterday.
they did:
fuel filter
clean maf & throttle body
hose clamp

drove it to my sister's house, picked her up , drove 2 blocks to get her kid,took a few min, car was off.. then got back in.,car wouldnt start. so we tried, waited a min, tried, waited a min, then finally it started. then we drove back to her house then i tried turning it on again and it didn't start.
called the repair guy, he told me to try to turn the key half way 3 times. then try to start it. it didnt want to start.

i am needing my repair insurance i purchased through my bank to cover the repair bill , so being i can't even drive my car without having it not want to start, i figure they would hopefully fix it ? i can't afford to get charged several hundred dollars and for them to not get the car to start, still. i do not have any money to pay anymore and i need to get the car working again so i can enjoy it, i got a loan on it and dont want to pay for a non-driveable car. i got a loan on it and if i can't get it fixed properly, quickly without having several hundred dollars in repair bills that still may not fix the problem, then i would have to say if my stupid insurance company wont fix the problem so i can have a working car, then i may have to give up the car to the bank saying i tried to fix it and they don't know what is wrong, and that ive tried to fix it but cannot afford to.. i dont know for sure what my insurance will cover but i thought a car that can't be started or driven would qualify as being covered by them, or could i be wrong?

we were out the other day ,also and so far in the past few weeks, we have had to push the car out of the way of the intersection twice now cuz it started ,then we went across the parking lot then the car just stops.

we couldnt get it started for awhile , then. we also had it not start twice the other day doing errands and almost had to tow it, but we got it started .

it seems like the battery just dies or isnt strong enough?
could it be the battery?
the starter?
the alternator?
anything else?
could it be low on oil? i just got an oil change within the past 3 months and was having problems with the car for at least the past 2 months, but it has gotten worse and more frequent. i dont think it is low on oil after only 1 month then,right? i will check the oil tomorrow.
can anyone help me ?

ok the shop is going to try a crank shaft sensor. on wikipedia, it said the the issue u'd have is that the engine will likely cut out after a few minutes of driving, and it mostly will not start. that is exactly what the car is doing, so i hope please, god that that is the answer. i gotta pay out of pocket which ******* sucks. please hope this fixes the problem so i can have my ******* car back! i dont want to pay for a loan on a car that i cannot even drive, and if no one can ******* fix it properly without having to do too much work to it and for it to cost as little amount of money as possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am not sure what you have wrong exactly, but sounds like you immobilizer system is randomly being triggered. From other posts I have read, you may want to look into that as your culprit. You should be hearing from some of our more knowledgeable members and they should have a better idea, if mine is completely off.

Good luck getting it fixed.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
When you say it won't start, what do you mean? Is it doing nothing (turn the key and no noises, etc)? Is it cranking and not catching?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say it won't start, what do you mean? Is it doing nothing (turn the key and no noises, etc)? Is it cranking and not catching?

Yes it isnt catching, and it is making noises.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
You can always take it to Autozone, etc to get the battery and alt tested. Could also be a fueling issue. Maybe fuel pump relay or something like that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re :starting issues

i'm still having problems with my car not starting. why?? can anyone help me figure it out? it seems like whenever i go do errands, going to 2-5 places in one day, then it acts up and doesn't want to start. my car is a 2000 vw new beetle turbo. has anyone else had this problem? i took it in to try to get it fixed, and paid $682.00! they cleaned the air filters and replaced the crank shaft sensor. the car is doing better, but still, today i was stuck in a parking lot for 10-20 minutes trying to start my car off and on while waiting a bit. i drove 45 min one day, then stopped at a gas station, then tried to start it and it didnt want to start. sat for 20-30 min! ugh. i got this car from a car dealership that was selling it used for $5,995. i wonder if they sold it , knowing that it had starting issues?? if so, that is sad. i got a car that isn't working , unreliable. i dont understand why a mechanic cant ******* figure out what is wrong with my car not starting! i want them to for example tell me that it could only be one of 3 things that would fix it and fix it all , maybe and then id hope to hell that it would work perfectly after that , or i wouldnt know what to do with it and be pissed. i dont have tons of money to throw around trying to figure out what the problem is and wonder how much it will cost to fix. i almost could have just saved myself $682.00 and not taken it in ,and id still be doing just the same as before , with that much more money in my pocket. it sucks. do you have any suggestions at what i should do? i need this car fixed sometime . i plan to get a few things done to it in a few months , like: oil change, tire rotation, tune up, maybe replace the spark plugs, a coolant system flush, a radiator flush . will any of that help the problem? if not, what do you suggest?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re

for anyone who had a similar problem, i will tell you that i rescently got it fixed.
we fixedL
the crankshaft sensor
synthetic oil change
temp sensor

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
for anyone who had a similar problem, i will tell you that i rescently got it fixed.
we fixedL
the crankshaft sensor
synthetic oil change
temp sensor
WOW, it took you from July to October to finally get the problem solved? I thought they changed the Crankshaft sensor previously? An Oil Change and temp sensor wouldn't effect the starting of the car.
Thank you for posting back and letting us know that you finally got it working properly. Hope you won't have any more major problems with your Beetle.
I bought my 2000 1.8 Turbo beetle earlier this year and so far I must say I have been very lucky with no major issues at all. Now I did do some maintenance on it and redid all the brakes including rotors and pads, changed all the fluids and changed a leaking Valve Cover Gasket. Other than that the car has been GREAT.
May I ask how many miles you have on the car? Make sure that the timing belt service has been done to the car at proper intervals or you could be looking at some major repair bill if that thing fails. I would have it and all the involved accessories changed every 75K miles. Always change your oil with Synthetic Fluid. Our 1.8Turbos are prone to sludge and the oil should be changed every 4000 to 5000 miles.

Thanks again for posting back and let us know if you have any other issues with the car before spending a fortune on it. A lot of things can be fixed on your own for a lot less money then what a dealer or even a VW mechanic would charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts