NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, Robbie's poorly :( I was driving back from work yesterday, and there was a strange sloshing noise coming from the RH rear wheel. This was most noticable at 30ish mph. It sounded just like there was water sloshing around in the back. It had rained a bit in the day, and the tank was 1/2 full, so I wondered if it was something to do with that.

Anyways, when I got home, I jacked him up to see if I could see anything obvious. I couldn't. So I span the offending wheel, and it made the same kinda noise as a lottery machine with only 1 ball in it. So then I gave the wheel a good tug to see if it would wobble - it didn't.

So, I'm thinking wheel bearing - but at the same time, wouldn't a wheel bearing make the wheel wobble when I tug on it?

Thanks,

*Lucy*

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The wheel bearing would wabbel if you grabbed the tyre on the sides, and pushed one side while pulling the other back and forth. You might hear a clunk while doing this.
Any chance you had some liquid stored in the area?

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried wobbling it, and there's not even a tiny bit of movement. It does make clicking sounds when I spin it tho - unless that's normal???

I don't think there's any liquid in him - I'll go and take everything (inc carpets) out of him later, get my bf to drive while I sit in the back looking for signs!

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Look down in the well where the spare wheel is located.
Depends on what the clicking sound is like. It could be a bearing, but more than likely is the rear brake pad hitting the rotor.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Shamrockez said:
I was driving back from work yesterday, and there was a strange sloshing noise coming from the RH rear wheel. This was most noticable at 30ish mph. It sounded just like there was water sloshing around in the back. It had rained a bit in the day, and the tank was 1/2 full, so I wondered if it was something to do with that.
This is where the fuel tank is... its sort of under the back seat on the passenger side of the car. Although, if this is a *new* noise, I'm not sure why you wouldn't have heard sloshing before now.

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, we took him for a spin yesterday, and the noise was still there. So we jacked him up again, and this time the wheel wobbled when we pulled on it. So he's currently in the garage getting a shiney new wheel bearing.

Thanks for the help guys :)

*Lucy*

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Shamrockez said:
Ok, we took him for a spin yesterday, and the noise was still there. So we jacked him up again, and this time the wheel wobbled when we pulled on it. So he's currently in the garage getting a shiney new wheel bearing.

Thanks for the help guys :)

*Lucy*
Thank YOU for posting this (as it'll be a great reference for others later)!

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
Billsbug said:
If the noise is still there after the new bearing, check your trunk for a half empty bootle of Beefeaters...;) :D
I would have said Grey Goose, but that's just me. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts