NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever lost an auction on something that you really, really wanted by like $1.00 or so? Last night my brother was bidding on his dream car, 2003 corvette convertible, and lost at the last minuted by $1.00. This color combo is very rare and he hasn't seen one for sale in 2 years!!! He is so bummed, but I just told him then something better is on the way and just let it go! :)
~Shelly

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
OMG! That sucks big time!!! :banghead: So sorry for your bro.
I have lost a few auctions like that but I bet I didnt feel anywhere near as bad as your brother did. Gosh thats terrible!
I try not to get too attached to something that doesnt really belong to me but sometimes its not always that easy :rolleyes: Especially when its right at your fingertips, just out of reach and then gets snatched away at the last second.

Ebay is bad like that! :p
Damn snipers! hehe

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
You might have him get in touch with the seller in case something bad should go wrong with the high bidder. It happens a lot with cars and who knows?

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
jpdeuce said:
You might have him get in touch with the seller in case something bad should go wrong with the high bidder. It happens a lot with cars and who knows?
I second that. Car bidders are notoriously finicky and deals can fall through at the last minute and the seller ends up reposting it. :( still sad.

·
18,312 Posts
A few times I was the second highest bidder on some items and I have been contacted by the seller through ebay for a second chance on the items. They offered the items to me for my highest bid. Being that her brother was so close to the highest bidder, the seller will get in touch with him if the deal falls through with the highest bidder.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
jpdeuce said:
That's a shame! I would caution about buying the car this way, as eBay protectionary mechanisms that protect the buyer may not apply, as such a sale may be considered outside the auction. I'd check eBay's policy on such a purchase.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
larryziegler said:
That's a shame! I would caution about buying the car this way, as eBay protectionary mechanisms that protect the buyer may not apply, as such a sale may be considered outside the auction. I'd check eBay's policy on such a purchase.
Actually, it's not unheard of to have the seller put it back up as a private auction. It can be done that way very safely. :)

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
shellbug said:
Has anyone ever lost an auction on something that you really, really wanted by like $1.00 or so? Last night my brother was bidding on his dream car, 2003 corvette convertible, and lost at the last minuted by $1.00. This color combo is very rare and he hasn't seen one for sale in 2 years!!! He is so bummed, but I just told him then something better is on the way and just let it go! :)
~Shelly
About the only time I ever really wanted something off ebay was some rare parts. There were only a couple of us bidding..until somebody bid within the last 6 minutes and $100+ over what I was willing to spend. :mad:

that's ok, about a year later I was able to pick up the same parts (new old stock) for about half of what he paid :cool:

·
Caliente!
597 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
...I try not to get too attached to something that doesnt really belong to me but sometimes its not always that easy :rolleyes: Especially when its right at your fingertips, just out of reach and then gets snatched away at the last second.

Ebay is bad like that! :p
Damn snipers! hehe
Hmm, are you sure you are talking about an eBay auction CGB??? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've had my fair share of losing due to sniper activity on eBay but I found a way to come to terms with it. I always just bid the absolute most that I would be willing to pay for the item and then if I get sniped by $1, oh well, according to me, I wasn't willing to pay another $1 for the item.

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
Here is how I do ebay ...I wait till the last minute and then jump the bid by about ten bucks that way anybody who comes along and bids a buck more gets beat out. In this case I shurly would have paid an extra ten bucks to get the rare corvette I wanted. Unless the reserve hadn't been met which in case your brothers bid would have been beat out anyways.

·
18,312 Posts
Dede said:
Hmm, are you sure you are talking about an eBay auction CGB??? :rolleyes:
:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts