NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am soon getting three 12" infinity subs, an orion amp, and an after market head unit. my question is will i have to replace the rest of my speakers or should the sound quality be sufficient enough to hear words over the bass =P (i believe i have the monsoon system, dont know if that means it has better speakers or not lol)

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
The monsoon system has some pretty good speakers. You can tell if the car has the monsoon because there will be speaker grilles in the dash and not just the pillars. I have a 15" 1000w Pyle sub in my bug and the mids and tweeters from my monsoon system are sufficient, but they do sound a little dry compared to the fat bass I get from the sub. I am personally considering ripping out the monsoon and installing some new mids and tweeters and maybe some new low end speakers up front. But if you have those mids and tweeters from the monsoon they are definitely sufficient to get a nice balanced sound quality, even with bass all the way up and mid and treble cut most of the way out in my eq.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
If you decide to go aftermarket with the speakers, do components up front. It takes a little fabrication to mount an aftermarket tweeter in place of the stock, but IMO, it's a better location than in the pillars. Maybe it's just me, but I think with the acoustics of the car, the highs carry much better (louder) when they're bouncing off the windshield than they would in the pillar. The monsoon system isn't bad sounding, but it may not be up to par when paired with subs. 3 12"s? Ugh, you're one of those people. :rolleyes: I kid, I'm probably the most modest car audio installer ever, not too keen on overkill systems. (where do you fit 3 12"s in this car anyway?? lol you must not have to buy groceries!)

But for reals, if you're not getting enough highs and mids to balance out the low end, bypass the monsoon amp, put in high quality speakers (components in the front, coaxes in the back) and call it a day.

edit//

(i believe i have the monsoon system, dont know if that means it has better speakers or not lol)
Oh, and to clarify that, with the monsoon system, the rear speakers are 2 ohm woofers and the door speakers are 2 ohm subwoofers (I think..) with the mid range and tweeter in the dash. So better? Yes, by themselves. But once again, they may not produce enough highs to compete with the bass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
3 12s in the back???

3 12s in the back??? WTF. haha i have 2 12s and it almost dont fit, i have to really slam the trunk for it to close. post pictures if you get 3 12s in the trunk please, thnk you:]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts