VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1.8t and since I got it back from the body shop/mechanic its been a nightmare. First the car shot coolant everywhere bc they didn't tighten the expansion tank cap. Then the door lock actuator failed on the drivers side. Now I got that fixed and I have sloppy door handle now. Now every time I drive the car the car smells like burnt. At first I thought it might have been the coolant that sprayed in the car. But then I look and my valve cover is leaking a bit of oil. So maybe that's the smell. Maybe a hung up break caliper. Also every time I fill the car up it sucks the gas back out. I have used from full to the half tank mark and only gone like 115 miles. I know the evap canister was changed in the accident, and a vacuum leak was fixed. other replacement parts where front bumper and rear bumper and passenger side rocker panel. This car has had like $4000 put into it since Jan with all the recent work.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Sloppy door handle; on the inside or outside?

For the inside; these guys sell a nice fix:

Dieselgeek: Beetlebrace

Beetlebrace

Oil burning smell/valve cover gasket:

On the 1.8T engine it is a very common issue; replace the gasket. Get a good quality gasket set; like FELPRO.

"gas sucks out"; are you saying you have poor fuel mileage?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no cel on. And yeah really bad mpg. I burn a half tank in a little more than a hundred miles. The sloppy door handle is on the outside.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
How, would you say the car seems to run and how many miles are on the odometer? Have you scanned the car; for trouble codes with a VW type scanner (vcds etc.). When was the last time; it had a "tune up" and had some maintenance done to it? I realize you just spent 4k but some basic tune up/maintenance could make a difference. Things, that seemed to make a difference in my gas mileage; was bad coolant temp senor, old coolant thermostat, bad 02 sensors and old fuel filter... how do the spark plugs and air filter look like? Check the basics; to get your car to run at its best and get better gas mileage! :) If this is beyond your abilities or desire to work on it yourself; you might take it to a independent shop that specializes in VWs and have them check it out for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts