NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night when I was driving home, its was pretty cold out I don't know if that had anything to do with it anyways after I pulled into the driveway and turned my car off I notice an odd smell like something was burning I think my heater was on low, I don't know if that had anything to do with it, now I'm little afraid to turn my car on like it might catch on fire or what something, what do you think it is?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
smell

I would check the fuse box on top of the battery, especially the alternator cable that would melt the fuse box and smell like burning plastic. And if that indeed is the cause of your problem...........Welcome to the Club. LOL :p

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Was the smell inside or outside the car? There is some history of the fan speed switch causing fires inside the dashboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was inside the car, after I shut off the car I smelt something I didn't even open the door yet, I made an appointment with my mechanic as I been having a lot of troubles with my beetle this past summer, I think so far I spend around 1400 this past summer, I think the worst thing that happen was when the crank shaft senor went out and I broke down on the road.

are beetle known to have a lot of problems, my friend think I should keep it because eventually its going to be a good car when I get everything fix. I only paid 4000 for a used car.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't know too much about cars, just how to drive them, the worst of all the problems I had was the crank shaft senor as I had to hitchhike to a local mechanic and call for a tow truck to pick my car up on the side of the road so I can get it fix.. I like beetles because I feel relaxed while driving them but they aggravate me with all the problems and the money I have to stick in them.

would a diagnostic test be a good idea to see what all really wrong with it before anything else goes out?

·
Registered
758 Posts
i don't know too much about cars, just how to drive them, the worst of all the problems I had was the crank shaft senor as I had to hitchhike to a local mechanic and call for a tow truck to pick my car up on the side of the road so I can get it fix.. I like beetles because I feel relaxed while driving them but they aggravate me with all the problems and the money I have to stick in them.

would a diagnostic test be a good idea to see what all really wrong with it before anything else goes out?
I hate to say it, but VW's (at least ones out of warranty) may not be the best car for you. These cars seem best for people who know they'll break on occasion and can do most repairs themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts