It is the bolt which goes through the mount
into the chassis/bodywork.
The busted off piece is in the chassis.
Has anyone experienced this and how did you rectify
the problem?

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
I had a similar problem on a 1.8T Jetta; I removed the mount portion that was in the way of the bolt. Luckily, I was able to use a punch to hit the portion of the bolt that was stuck in the threads... I was able to reverse it, remove it. I just replaced it with another bolt; you could use a easy out, if it won't come out easily for you.

There are a number of different styles; some work better then others... hopefully, your may come out easy like mine. If you have a welder; some people, just tack weld a bolt on them... reverse them out as well. Good luck! :)

Here are some examples; most are available from your local hardware or tool store.

https://www.google.com/search?q=eas...sj=1&q=broken+bolt+extractor&sa=N&tab=fw&um=1

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Is it the passenger side mount? If so, I bet it wasn't replaced during a timing belt job.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Is it the passenger side mount? If so, I bet it wasn't replaced during a timing belt job.
yup yup. happened all the time at the dealership. (not me) we would have come backs for it. be carefull not to strip out the splines, thats a huge important bolt to go back in!!!

good luck!

-jd

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I find it kind of ironic that with many of the one time use bolts, I have ALWAYS had to order them from my local dealer.

It seems that they should have plenty of these in stock if they were used often and I know many are cross model compatible, so if the dealer does not stock them, then I can see where they would not likely get replaced on most jobs?

Seems that VW should kit some of these bolts as a single part number to make the parts and techs jobs easier as well??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts