NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posting on my wife's account - had some drivability issues with no cel on her bug last weekend - tune up time

while changing plugs, found a broken ignition coil. 7pm on a saturday, i ended up buying four new ignition coils from autozone. two days, a warrantied coil, and the same code with a check engine light later - the culprit ended up being another bad coil.

i've been working cars for most of my life and over the past few years i've had some issues with parts being bad from the box. the frequency which these occur seems to be greater since more and more items are stamped with "made in china"

the lesson i've learned, which might be a little more costly at the start is to stick with oem replacement parts.
i've pulled out way too much hair trying to diagnose after replacing a bad part with what ended up being a crappy non-oem replacement part...

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
posting on my wife's account - had some drivability issues with no cel on her bug last weekend - tune up time

while changing plugs, found a broken ignition coil. 7pm on a saturday, i ended up buying four new ignition coils from autozone. two days, a warrantied coil, and the same code with a check engine light later - the culprit ended up being another bad coil.

i've been working cars for most of my life and over the past few years i've had some issues with parts being bad from the box. the frequency which these occur seems to be greater since more and more items are stamped with "made in china"

the lesson i've learned, which might be a little more costly at the start is to stick with oem replacement parts.
i've pulled out way too much hair trying to diagnose after replacing a bad part with what ended up being a crappy non-oem replacement part...
In this particular case, buying OEM ignition coil's for VW doesn't mean better *chuckle*.

If you were to get the part from ECS Tuning, you have a number of choices of quality parts. I've found that a lot of Autozone replacement parts are just junk :(

BUT, even with them being iffy, even the funky ignition coils from Autozone shouldn't go out that quickly. There *might* be something else going on with your car if you keep blowing ignition coils.

Home Page > Search > Ignition Coil - ECS Tuning Inc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts