VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2006 with 80K miles. Seems to be running and shifting fine. What do I need to do to keep the transmission going as long as possible, any particular maintenance I should do on it? Replace the fluid, certainly. Anything else? I know this engine (2.5L) has the problem with the timing chain tensioner, so I'll take care of that. But the other big-ticket item to possibly fail is the automatic transmission, certainly. How can I minimize my problems down the road?

Thanks for any advice.

-Dan

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If the NB you are looking at has been cared for and you take care of it (if you buy it), I see no reason why you cannot double the mileage. As always, have a mechanic look at it first.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Be prepared to have the valve body reworked in the transmission.

What you fill find, the warmer the weather and therefore the transmission fluid, the harder the shifts will be. Usually the 3-2 downshift is the first obvious problem.

Expect to spend about $650 if you can DIY.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's supposed to be a sealed unit. Find out the maintenance and history of it, but make sure you have a cushion set aside for repairs. At best, you can expect to rebuild/replace the valve body, which will run $650-$900, at worst, rebuild/replace the transmission, which will run $3,000-$6000. Mine was replaced with a used one that had 20,000 miles on it for $1,400 plus fluid, but I did the labor myself.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The transmission is not a "sealed unit". They may claim Lifetime fluid fill which is garbage. All the valve bodies wear out between 60-85k mile depending on the driving conditions. City dwellers that shift more than highway warriors wear out or show signs of problems by as early as 60k miles. Changing fluid will not help much.

VW implied that there were improvements for the 2008+ transmissions, but not sure IF there were changes, they helped matters.

Plan on reworking the valve body by 75k miles or so, the harsh shifting gets worse the warmer the trans fluid is. Trust me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts