NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking for a used Beetle convertible for my wife and would welcome any advice.

Basically we have got about £5500 to play with. There's quite a few on Autotrader but I have been reading some horror stories on other forums so want to check them out with the experts.

Engine?

We are probably looking at anything up to 56 plate depending on mileage. My wife loves power but doesn't want to pay for the high fuel consumption told that best engines are 1.8T or diesel but to be honest 1.8T are like finding hens teeth and prob both options too expensive for us. So that leaves the 1.4 1.6 and 2.0. Been told that all are dire. 1.4 like a snail, 2.0 noisy and heavy on gas so 1.6 might be best choice but been told that throttle bodies are an expensive problem on them. And to be honest it seems too small an engine for a car of that weight and size.

Trannie?

Seem to be common probs with early gearboxes.

Rear windows glued on so fall out on early models.

So it seems that we shouldn't even consider anything pre 2006.

Are these comments fair or not?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Convertible

I bought a 2006 convertible (non-electric). I love it, would not buy anything but a convertible. Easy to put up and down, back glass window, no leaking. Thde only thing I heaRD is that it costs about $1000.00 to put on a new top when needed. I bought my bug at a dealership for $14,000 with 50,000 miles on it in excellent condition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts