VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1998 Beetle TDI and need snow tires for the winter. I will be putting them on the stock rims so the tire size should be 205/55-16 and I found these: 4 New 205 55 16 General Altimax Arctic Winter Snow 55R R16 Tires | eBay
They should fit because they are the same size as the stock tires but when I use the compatibility check it says they won't fit.
So do they fit or not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Tire rack says only the 225/45R17 option fits a 1998 Beetle. At this point I guess I am just confused on why the 205/55R16 tire size doesn't fit considering it is the stock size. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
I don't get it either! I know; that the early New Beetles came with 16" wheels and 17" were optional or offered in later special models (Sport, Turbo S etc.). I think there is a difference; between what "fits" and what is "recommended". The online catalogs; maybe have incorrect info. Probably, best to go to a local tire shop and have them help you, figure out what is best for your application? :confused: It would seem to me; any tire 205/55-16, would fit. It shouldn't matter what type of tire it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to another website and they said it fit. I think Tire Rack and Ebay must have their databases wrong for the compatibility check maybe, because I would put 98 Beetle into the filter and those tires would pop up, but when I hit "check compatibility" or something similar they say it wouldn't fit. I looked around some more and there shouldn't be anything wrong with those tires, they should fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts