NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have what is probably a simple question. I'm a new owner to my '01 1.8T New Beetle and love it! My question is after I shut the car off, I hear a kind of buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment. It runs for several minutes (I've not timed it) then it shuts off. Anyone know what is continuing to run after the engine is shut off?

Also, I've heard that you should let you car idle after a freeway run, before you shut it down to allow the turbo to cool... about how long is long enough? I've been using the door warning chime to time me. After it stops chiming I turn off the engine.

Thx in advance!
Regards,
Tom C.
'01 Vortex Blue 1.8T

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
The door chime timing should be sufficient. Someone told me that the buzzing is a secondary coolant pump that circulates water through the engine for a bit. Not sure if this is entirely true, but would make sense...:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
You are quite right. It is an electric pump that keeps the coolant moving for up to 15 minutes after turning off the ignition. It in theory is supposed to increase the longevity of the Turbo.

Unfortunatly the oil does not continue to flow so it can still break down and coke (a substance almost as hard as diamonds) inside your turbo. So I still allow my car to idle for a minute or two after shutting off. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts