NewBeetle.org Forums banner

What type of TV service provider do you use?

• I don't have a TV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just regular old TV for me

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Analog Cable

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Digital Cable (Or even HDTV)

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Dish Network

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • DirectTV

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. What type of tv feed does everyone have. What kind of equipment, etc.?

I switched from Digital Cable to Dish Network about 2 years ago. I couldn't be happier. Cable companies scare the crap out of you with their anti-satellite commercials (It storms, and you lose your signal, I sneezed, and I lost my signal . . . ).

Since I switched, my picture is 100% better than with cable, I get more channels, better boxes, my outtages are very few and far between (MUCH less than when I had cable), and I pay about $40.00 less a month than I did with cable.

I now have 3 TVs hooked to the Dish, with 2 DVRs. My only complaint is that they STILL have not released their dual tuner TiVo like cable box to existing customers. But, with the two DVRs, I'm not so bad off.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
i have digital cable and cuz we got a good package with our internet

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
v-dubed said:
i have digital cable and cuz we got a good package with our internet
Me too..I also have the digital cable phone line. I pay 135/month for all 3.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
regular old analog cable for TV and internet...it's easy and pretty reliable where i am...

didn't add the telephone option, and unlikely to switch...when hurricane isabel hit the area, never lost phone service with my "old-fashioned" Verizon phone service. :) neighbors with cable co. phone service lost their landlines for weeks

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
We also have Dish Network and I love the variety of channels it comes with. My only complaints is that there are WAY too many sports channels and we do tend to lose the satellite signal easily during a storm. Other than that, everything's been great.:)

·
33 &#8531;
15,621 Posts
I picked 'other'. I have Comcast Digital HDTV/DVR and also DirecTV.

The DirecTV is for the NFL game ticket.

Otherwise, it's plain ole' cable everywhere else. One TV in the bedroom, one in the kitchen, one on top of the computer desk, and one that is in a room, that is attached to a bathroom. You can turn on the TV, and watch from the bathroom.

Yup.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
With a set-up like this, plain old analog just wont do! It's Comcast digital, baby!:D (I love my hi-speed internet access, too.)

Attachments

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
I've got basic cable, none of that digital, HD, or PVR stuff for me. But, then again, that's because I'm just not a TV person. I watch a few shows, and that's good enough for me. Besides, these days, you can failrly easily download HDTV recordings of most shows ;)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Out here in the tickie-boos DirecTV is the only option. 25 years ago, the cable company said it would be here within the next couple of years. 25 years latter, they say maybe sometime in the next 5 to 10 years.

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
wow I guess I'm the only with just plane old tv. That will change though in 6 months :)

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Just plain ole TV here and really crappy reception at that. I get snowy NBC, squigly ABC and sorta clear with some ghosting FOX. On really good days I can get PBS too.

I guess I'm just not dedicated enough to TV to make spending $50-$150 a month on programs worth it. I would much rather spend that on DVDs, going out to eat, on my cars, etc. I feel like I would pretty much have to dedicate my life to watching the boob tube to get my moneys worth and quite frankly I would rather waste that time online. :lol:

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hyakugojyuuichi said:
We also have Dish Network and I love the variety of channels it comes with. My only complaints is that there are WAY too many sports channels and we do tend to lose the satellite signal easily during a storm. Other than that, everything's been great.:)
When I had mine installed, I asked about that (after those constant commercials by my cable provider, warning me about satellite TV, I was worried). The installer said it really depends on who does the install, and how good a job they do.

In almost two years of service, I've lost a signal twice, for about 5 minutes each time. Not bad. When I had cable, I lost my cable probably a dozen times, the longest for 8 weeks. They missed 6-7 appointments to come out and fix it. :(

So, the storm outages are nothing compared to cable. Heh heh.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I picked "other", since I'm using a Samsung widescreen HD CRT television hooked up to an antenna that pulls in over-the-air HD broadcasts. Here's a link to my TV - really cheap and really nice, I think!

It really annoyed me that Adelphia was charging me $70.00 a month for cable tv, without anything nice like HD content or any premium channels. It just galled me - I think the prices they charge are outrageous and I was barely using it, so I told them to drop the TV part and just leave the cable modem running.

Shockingly, they did it right the first time. So now I have no cable TV, and I'm loving it! I don't miss any of the stuff on cable, thanks to my old buddies bit torrent and usenet, and the stuff that comes in over the antenna is amazing sometimes! I'm lucky to live where there are a bunch of really strong HD signals flying around. I'll never forget how amazed I was the first time I was able to watch CSI in HD with surround sound, all thru my George Jetson-looking antenna!

The future rules!:D

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Dish -but might need to upgrade to the HD DVR though.
We love our dual tuner DVR in the living room so we can record two shows and watch one off the drive at the same time...\it rocks!
In Dallas we get a few of our local channels HD via antenna right now so if we want to see the full potential of our new TV we can switch over...just can't record at that res yet.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Mazzzja said:
Just regular cable for me.
For the tv and internet.
I could have my phone through cable as well, but I keep it like it is.

I don't want a dish, as a dish stands for Turkish/Moroccan people, with whom I don't really want to be associated with. :D
Man, that Dutch humor slays me! :confused: :p

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Analog cable, for the last 20 years, at least. In the last 12 years, I have watched very little TV (other than news)and so cannot justify getting movie channels or HD or digital cable for something I hardly use. My kids don't watch much TV either. Between homework, sports, video games, running around outside, and their parents' viewing habits... TV is just not a priority in my house. I've often hoped for a pay-as-you-go format for cable TV. It's so darn expensive for what little I actually use.

As far as internet and phone goes.. Over the last year I've tried cable and DSL for internet. Cable was really nice, but awfully expensive. I am currently using DSL, with no real problems since I started with it 9 months ago. I've gone through 4 different phone providers in the last year.. I had Sprint, then, since I had cable, I decided to try Vonage (VoIP). That lasted about 3 months before it got so bad - dropped words during phone calls and the ensuing arguments about it - that I switched to Cavalier. See a pattern yet? Yes, I am cheap :)... That one was OK, but we still had service issues. The most annoying one was that my wife's place of employment could not get through to our number. In the end, I just decided to go back to good old Verizon for phone and internet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts