VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

Just posted my first post in the new member forum. I am in desperate need of help.

My 18 year old daughter (yikes!!) took a road trip to visit grandparents recently and came back complaining of strange brake noises. This was after her grandparents were kind enough to have her rotors turned and pads replaced all around on her 1999 2.0 Beetle.

When I checked it out, I found the right rear caliper DANGLING by the brake hose, and the dust shield beat to hell. The idiots that did her brakes removed the caliper and did not tighten the bolts on that caliper. Somewhere along the way, the caliper bolts came out, and the caliper banged around in the wheel well for who knows how long.

I have a new loaded caliper ready to install. I managed to salvage the dust shield. What I can't find is the two caliper mounting bolts - the two bolts that mount the caliper to the hub. NOT THE TWO CALIPER GUIDE PIN BOLTS, like EVERY parts place and VW dealership seems to think I need. They are definitely not the same. I cannot find a part number ANYWHERE, and like I said, the "professionals" are clueless.

Does anyone have the part number for these two bolts, or know the specs of these bolts? I searched the forums and found another person with that question (stuck/stripped bolts) that didn't get the answer to the part number question.

Much thanks in advance. I've been told it's not a good idea to match them to something at a fastener store because of material differences and shear strength issues. If I have to, I'll do that if someone can provide a good match.

Thanks in advance. The longer this issue remains, the longer my daughter borrows my car and lays around the house with nothing to do...

Gabe

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Go back to the VW dealer. Go to the parts counter. Ask them to bring up the diagram of the rear brakes. Point at the bolts you want. The computer will tell him the part number. They'll have them in stock. The reason this happens is the OEM bolts have thread locker on them. Mechanics put them back without using new bolts (as specified) or applying Loctite.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts