NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so as I make my list of mod's I want to do to Gunther, painting the calipers is one of them. My question is what color?

Do I go with Red since he's already red?

I thought about blue or yellow, but am totally unsure what I want to do.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Racing yellow seems to be a popular choice. My German mechanic friend even mentioned that color when he was trying to talk me out of pink. I chose pink anyway :) I think yellow would look good with red though if you don't go with red instead.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Yellow....the red wont stand out like you want it to.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Lotsa yellow fans here. Saw a yellow beetle with red calipers on the collective today. You could be opposites :)

·
Senior Member Sponsor
1,345 Posts
I suggest a Dupli-color kit. It's ceramic based and lasts a long time between touch-ups.

I also rock the yellow on my Batik Blue.:)

Contrast is where it's at!:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I used a G2 kit on mine. Not sure what the base is but it's a two part mix that you have 6 hours to use after mixing. They guarantee it for life too. Brush on and fills really well. I did three coats maybe four on my parts. Even used the extra paint to do the dipstick, coolant cap, and tow bar. All that took one kit and still only used half. If I had known that, I would've found more extra parts to do. Fiona's mom (mybugrocks) told me about the kit. She's had hers done for a little over 3 years and she says they still look like the day she did them. Less than $40 for the kit on their site including shipping. Since its brush on I was able to put Iggy on jack stands and pull all 4 tires off, pull apart the brakes while leaving the main parts attached so I didn't have to mess with brake fluid or bleed the system when I was done, and do all the prep work (the kit comes with a can of brake cleaner too), then paint without concern of getting any on Iggy or messing up the job with brake fluid when done. I've never done anything like it before, total amateur here, and it turned out looking great. I just wish I could've painted the spring; but the driver's side didn't have one so I have to order a new set so only 1 would've been painted if I had. I've got more pics of the whole process on Iggy's picture thread if you want to see start to finish on the job. Took two days because the stuff needs to cure for 24 hours to completely harden. I could've handled it to put it back together within I think 2 hours but I figured I'd just go ahead and leave it overnight so I was sure I wouldn't mess it up since I wasn't going to drive it until the 24 hours was up anyway. View attachment 99065 View attachment 99066 View attachment 99067

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
I suggest a Dupli-color kit. It's ceramic based and lasts a long time between touch-ups.

I also rock the yellow on my Batik Blue.:)

Contrast is where it's at!:cool:
Agreed. The Dupli-Color is good stuff and readily available. If you can't find the caliper paint kit, you can use the engine enamel. It has the same temp and composition ratings as the caliper paint. I've used the Daytona Yellow on Cup's calipers, then eventually switched to grabber green.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, I think I'm going to go with yellow. We just got almost 3 feet of snow over the last couple of days and I don't have a garage. So it could be while before I can tackle this job.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Thanks for all the input, I think I'm going to go with yellow. We just got almost 3 feet of snow over the last couple of days and I don't have a garage. So it could be while before I can tackle this job.
May you have warm days ahead!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts