NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Red Devl strikes again...
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The color of my '99 Beetle is red and I'm trying to decide what color I should paint my calipers. It seems rather pointless to paint them black, since I want them to stand out. I was thinking yellow, but not sure.

Anyone have experience with painting your own calipers and what color did you choose?

I'm also open to any suggestions on what color I should go with for mine.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
With the paint kits out there, it's pretty simple. When I do mine, I just jack up one side, remove the wheels on that side, clean the calipers, dry, then paint. Once paint is dry, put wheels back on, jack up the other side, and repeat.

I went with yellow on my Cyber Green.

For a red NB, I'd probably go with Yellow or Green.

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the paint kits out there, it's pretty simple. When I do mine, I just jack up one side, remove the wheels on that side, clean the calipers, dry, then paint. Once paint is dry, put wheels back on, jack up the other side, and repeat.

I went with yellow on my Cyber Green.

For a red NB, I'd probably go with Yellow or Green.
I was thinking yellow, since that would be a good contrast from the body. Hadn't considered green though, but I guess would be cool especially around the holidays. ;)

It will be some time before I can do this, since I'll need to get some better wheels, since I have the plain factory ones on now. I'm considering Take 5's, since I like the look especially with inserts, but the ones on Cyber Green look pretty tight. I like the "swirl" effect it gives.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know nothing of the process or the type of paint one would use, but as far as colors go, yellow or even a light, bright aqua would be stunning on your red Beetle! Good luck!:)

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I know nothing of the process or the type of paint one would use, but as far as colors go, yellow or even a light, bright aqua would be stunning on your red Beetle! Good luck!:)
It's actually a pretty simple project. Quite a few caliper painting kits out there, those are really your best choices:

Available at Tire Rack

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's actually a pretty simple project. Quite a few caliper painting kits out there, those are really your best choices.
Stupid question, but you do you have to remove the caliper to paint it, or can you just tape it off? I don't want to get paint on the disc (wouldn't that be bad?) and all inside the wheel well.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Stupid question, but you do you have to remove the caliper to paint it, or can you just tape it off? I don't want to get paint on the disc (wouldn't that be bad?) and all inside the wheel well.
Yup. You're going to want to make sure you do a good job of covering up the brakes and all, but yes, you can leave the calipers on the car. I did both times I've painted mine.

·
fahrvergnügen
30 Posts
Painting Calipers

I picked up some red Dupli-color caliper spray paint for $7 at
o' Reilly. Went home, with my Dad we took wheels off one side, sanded and cleaned calipers, covered up areas where paint was not necessary, sprayed one coat on each, and voila. Looks brand new. Stuck wheels on, completed the other two the next day.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts