VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 vw bettle 2.0 automatic gas engine. in march my car started acting funny. when i pressed on the gas it wouldnt do anything then i would let off and try again then it would go, it did this at 25, 35, 45, 55, 65. then the check engine light came on and the code p0343 came up with is
Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input (Bank 1 or single sensor) so my dad replace the cam shaft sensor, the crank shaft sensor, put new plugs and wires in, we replace the timing belt, oil change. at the end of august and still have no idea why it still runs like poop and is still is giving us that code? (we do have our own computer)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,631 Posts
Which reader are you using? VAG-COM? Did you clear the code after you did the repair?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,631 Posts
You might want to see if you can get access to a VAG-COM scanner. It will read "soft codes" that don't necessarily trigger a CEL, and give you VW specific codes. How many miles on the car?

Unrelated question, when you did the timing belt, did you replace the water pump?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,631 Posts
Well, since the belt has to come off to do the pump, its very common to do those together, especially since the pumps that come from the factory have plastic impellers which are prone to failure. It happens typically between 60-80k if they fail. Some have lasted 100k+ but its usually recommended to swtich them out earlier on before a failure can happen, and replace it with one with a metal impeller.

·
Canadian New Member
951 Posts
i have a 2002 vw bettle 2.0 automatic gas engine. in march my car started acting funny. when i pressed on the gas it wouldnt do anything then i would let off and try again then it would go, it did this at 25, 35, 45, 55, 65. then the check engine light came on and the code p0343 came up with is
Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input (Bank 1 or single sensor) so my dad replace the cam shaft sensor, the crank shaft sensor, put new plugs and wires in, we replace the timing belt, oil change. at the end of august and still have no idea why it still runs like poop and is still is giving us that code? (we do have our own computer)
Are you sure the codes were cleared when the repairs where completed...??? Have you inspected the wire harness for shorts...??? (to the Cam Sensor)... Also would suggest looking into vag-Com if you have a laptop&OBD 2 cable . It would save you a lot of guess work as not all OBD2 scanners display or can diagnose Vw specific engine codes... It sound's like your dad is tired of replacing componnets....:rolleyes:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,631 Posts
Where are you located? There is likely a much better to take the car besides the dealer.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,631 Posts
Depends on what is wrong.

Most dealer labor charges are $90-$100/hr. Diagnostics charges are about the same.

There are a lot of local shops around the country that do great work on VWs. For example, I know of 4 great places here in NC. Where do you live?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i live in yakima, wa i know we dont have any local shops. thats why we have to take it to the dealer. i know that just a diagnoses is $75. so i can only imagine how much its going to be to fix this prblm.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,631 Posts
https://docs.google.com/View?id=dj2b4ww_0cbj2p8dt

Its mostly for TDI owners, but a lot of these places work on VWs of all kinds. Might be able to find a shop near you. Or check the regional section on VW Vortex. They might have some recommendations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.