NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at "Cranks but won't start" and I also need to replace my camshaft sensor, code 17746. I removed the cover and found the sensor on a long bracket, am able to feel inside the gear and, yes, the sensor is loose to the holder bracket. (surprised it runs) It does draw 5 volts as the book says to test the lead wires.
The book says the belt has to be rmoved and also the gear. Will I need a gear puller or will it just come off with a bit of wiggling and a tap with a rubber mallet?
Also, having done the timing belt a few months ago and not liking to do it again without the tensioner tool, please suggest a reasonable sourse to purchase one. I see one that sells for $39 and is machined, a bit pricy. (nice but very usable). Its raining out so this is next weekends project.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have the red-handled tensioner tool from German Auto Parts:

GermanAutoParts.com

My only complaint is that bent part could be a little shorter to allow it more room to get into the tensioner.

The bolt that holds the pulley to the camshaft has a torque of 74 ft-lb, so you will need something to counterhold the pulley with while you loosen it. A strap wrench may work. The official tool graps the large cutout holes in the side of the pulley. It is keyed onto the camshaft with a Woodruff key so it shouldn't be too bad pulling it off. I doubt you will need a puller.

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the red-handled tensioner tool from German Auto Parts:

GermanAutoParts.com

My only complaint is that bent part could be a little shorter to allow it more room to get into the tensioner.

The bolt that holds the pulley to the camshaft has a torque of 74 ft-lb, so you will need something to counterhold the pulley with while you loosen it. A strap wrench may work. The official tool graps the large cutout holes in the side of the pulley. It is keyed onto the camshaft with a Woodruff key so it shouldn't be too bad pulling it off. I doubt you will need a puller.
I just returned from internet shopping at Sears and missed your reply. I did however buy a simular tool. Your site has the three tool combo also, and I really do like the tensioner tool there but LOL really pricy.
Hoping to loosen the pulley before I take the belt off, and thanks for bringing that up. I will take a pic of my removed semi-broken sensor to post.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
If you loosen the bolt by holding the pulley with the timing belt that will put a lot of strain on the belt. You'll need something to keep the crank from turning, maybe putting the car in gear if you have a manual transmission. I'd figure out something to hold the pulley with.

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Myra helped with the sensor replacement yesterday. It turned into two people, I needed four hands and a wrench turner from the underside of the NB. I have the camshaft holding tool coming, its ordered. ( Still need to torque the bolt properly) We have it running and a pleasant surprise, the shifting problem with the techtronic of not wanting to go up a gear by itself..........gone. Myra was having to let up on the gas to shift, like a stick.

Some pic of interest....
old sensor, broken but still ran
new sensor
transmission looking hole for TDC
I also found an opening on the underside of the transmission for the flywheel, good for seeing the elusive O as a practice place.

Attachments

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

We were going to clear the old codes tonight, started the NB and the check engine light went out......its gone on its own.
We had codes...
01045 tiptronic switch
00300 transmission temp sensor
18033 powertrain data bus
16501 coolant temp sensor.....stored code perhaps from our cooling problem
17734 knock cyl 2
17746 camshaft position sensor.

and gone. all gone.............:) :D :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts