NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good write up for the camshaft sensor replacement? I have not been able to find one on here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unsure of anything at this point. car runs fine for a few days and then it won't even idle. tried checking resistance on the crank sensor. Bentley says check using ohms.
checked using ohm setting and got "OL". checked using kohms and got .909 ohms.
Don't knoe if this is correct or not. Supposed to be between 480 and 1000 ohms. I assume since it is not reading correctly through ohms settings it is no good. Then it will run fine for a couple days. When it is running right at idle I unhook the throttle body sensor and it makes no difference. Have never driven it with the throttle body unplugged though.
could not find anything that tells how to check the camshaft sensor. Any thoughts?
This is without a doubt the most tempormental little car I have ever driven.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Have you hooked it up to a Scanner to see what type of codes pop up?
Might be worth a trip to Autozone to have them check it.
Post the codes and we will know more. ;)

Put it does sound like the Crankshaft sensor is bad and they are known to cause the car to not idle or even stall out.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
.909 ohms

If you had the meter in the kilo ohm scale then that is correct, you read 909 ohms, within range and pretty close to the 1000 ohms you needed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased the max-scan scanner and I have hooked it up when the car acts up and the only code that is there is for the secondary air pump incorrect flow. That makes sense since the air pump is not currently on the car.
There are no other codes present.
I have read that a few other people on this forum have had similar issues and it has been the camshaft position sensor.
I have recently had the engine out of the car to replace the front seal in the trans. (01M, auto).
At that time I also replaced the water pump timing belt and the tensioner pulley. I have replaced a couple other things as well. Like the temp sensor and the fan switch on the rad. I also have replaced the engine rear main seal when the engine was out. replaced the valve cover gasket and a couple bad vac hoses. I had probably put about 1500 miles on the car before engine removal and I had not had this issue brfore I took ouot the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts