VW Beetle Forum banner

Camshaft sensor wiring help

11K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2005 VW Beetle that I knew needed some work. I had the codes checked and it had an issue with the camshaft sensor so I ordered everything i would need but when it all came in and I went to begin the work I noticed the wires had been pulled out of the the plug that plugs into the sensor. I ordered a new plug but the wires are different colors than the original wires and I have no idea which wire goes where. The wires on the car are Brown/Blue Green/Yellow & Green/Violet

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
If you are missing the terminal ends that go into the cost plug; you can get repair wires with the terminals already crimped on the wire, at your local VW dealers parts dept.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Ok with the new plug; you have new terminal/wires already installed and just need to splice it in. Maybe red99 can orient you as to the specifics; if you look at your old plug; many times the terminal position number is marked on the body of the plug and that can help orient you, then transfer the positions to the new plug. I have a 02' 1.8T; so, it is probably different. Maybe someone with the same car: can take a photo and confirm the pinout for you?

#8 ·
Did you look at the old plug/connector; are the terminal numbers marked on the body of the plug? Some are and some are not. My maf plug; had numbers on it.

#10 · (Edited)
Ok, just match them up to what red told you and transfer the positions to the new wires/plug and splice them in, using butt connectors. I use the 3M Electrical Connectors Heat Shrink Splice Connectors; I got mine, in the automotive parts area at Walmart. This style connectors; seal out water and corrosion; they work excellent.

https://www.google.com/search?q=3m+...onnectors+Heat+Shrink+Splice+Connect,+24-Pack

(corrected pin and wire color below):

This diagram of the plug; should help orient you: pin 1 is positioned with the square part of the plug and pin 3 in son the round part:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...sor/component_information/diagrams/page_3146/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.