VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m working on my wife’s 2004 beetle, 1.8 turbo. 150,000 miles.
I’ve got some sort of air intake system leak, getting P2279 codes, misfire codes, too lean codes. I’m at my wits end. Here’s what I’ve done so far. Smoke tested everything, doesn’t come out anywhere, replaced with OEM, both PCV valves, MAF sensor, upstream O2 sensor, isolated brake booster, didn’t change anything. Can’t find torn hoses or boots anywhere.
Reader is showing 25% on STFT, idles rough most of the time.
I also cleaned the throttle body.
I don’t know where to go from here…help!

·
Registered
18,828 Posts

What scan tool are you using; can you post, all the trouble codes you are getting?

As to the lean codes; you might review this page, to narrow down the problem:

Quote from the Ross Tech page:

In general, an out-of-spec value in the first field (Additive) indicates a vacuum leak since it is mostly present at idle, when vacuum is highest. An out-of-spec value in the second field (Multiplicative) indicates a fault at higher RPM, and may point to a faulty MAF.

Here is a page; discussing, maf testing:

Here is info; for fuel pressure testing as well:

·
Registered
18,828 Posts

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Cylinder #1 misfires are coming up in two trouble codes.

Then, the various fuel delivery related codes and issues.

So, you look to have BOTH Ignition and fuel related Issues that need diagnosed.

So, i would start with the misfire, you could swap #1 coil pack; to a different location and see if the misfire moves, code changes. Then, you could work from there; checking coil pack plug is damaged, spark plug, injector, compression, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Combi valve is part of the sai system, which only kicks on during a cold startup; because io the variety of codes and wide range if possible problems, i would start treating things and work down the list of possibilities, a process. of elimination.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
18619/P2187/008583 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle

Possible Causes
Injectors leak/blocked
Air Intake Leak (after MAF)
Exhaust Leak

Possible Solutions
Check Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
Check Injector(s)
Check Fuel Pump
Check Activated Charcoal Filter (EVAP) System Solenoid Valve 1 (N80)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got some sort of air intake system leak, getting P2279 codes, misfire codes, too lean codes. I’m at my wits end. Here’s what I’ve done so far. Smoke tested everything, doesn’t come out anywhere, replaced with OEM, both PCV valves, MAF sensor, upstream O2 sensor, isolated brake booster, didn’t change anything. Can’t find torn hoses or boots anywhere.

I have had the same issue with my wife's 2004 1.8 t Done everything as you. Finally found the issue. If you remove the SAI, and look down at the crankcase breather 90^ plastic insert that comes out of the oil valley the the oil feed pipe to the turbo goes. You will (most likely) find that piece cracked or broken, This allows cold air to inter into the PVC system, and will through that code P2279 along with many other code's because they will be an offshoot of the P2279. Once that is corrected all the other codes will disappear.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had rough cold starts smoked badley at idle when warmed up everything went away. I replaced my valve guide seals now she cranks spot on no rough idle no smoke. Something I did it may work for you. I have a 98 1.9 beetle alh 5 speed pushing 200 hp .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue and solved by replacing check valvesstraight off the manifold

1 - 20 of 21 Posts