·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So these are my current codes:

P0118 - Engine Coolant Temp Circuit High Input
P0455 - Evap Emission Systems PCV Circuit Shorted
P0171 - System too lean - Bank1

Alright, some history, me and my bug have had a rough life together.

I cleaned my MAF a couple of months ago because my car would randomly stall all the time. That worked great.

I JUST changed the waterpump and timing belt since I had a giant coolant leak due to the water pump failing. Unfortunately this did go on for about a month... and it was REALLY hot out for the time. Sweet.

So currently, my beetle hasn't stalled. It stalled on my way to work one day, then on my way home. I checked the lines, and it seemed as if I didn't put one of the air hoses back on all the way. It was a tad bit rough when I started it up this morning (it was pouring rain all night).

Things I happen to already have:
Temperature sensor
Thermostat
Coolant Housing

So you can kinda see where I was going with this...

Anyone have any suggestions on what this particular combination of codes means? :confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
The P0445 code is nowhere to be found in the Bentley or on Ross-Tech so I'm not sure about that one. Your MAF could be faulty, triggering the P0171 code, or you could have a vaccuum leak or other leak potentially. The P0118 code is for the coolant temp sensor so change that out with a green one.

Info on the P0171 code:
16555/P0171/000369 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1: System Too Lean
Possible Causes

* Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) defective
* Intake System Leak(s)

Possible Solutions

* Check Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
* Check Fuel Pressure Regulation
* Check Fuel Pump
* Check Injectors
* Check Intake System for Leaks
* Check Exhaust System for Leaks
* Check Secondary Air System for Leaks
* Check Vacuum Pipes for Leaks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The P0445 code is nowhere to be found in the Bentley or on Ross-Tech so I'm not sure about that one.
Doh messed up numbers. Fixed. It's 455.

Yeah my plan as of now is to switch out the temperatue sender.

Thanks for the input

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Here is info on the code. Check your gas cap first.

16839/P0455/001109 - EVAP System: Large Leak Detected
Possible Causes

* Gas Cap loose/missing
* EVAP System Leaking

Possible Solutions

* Check Gas Cap
* Check EVAP System
* Check to make sure EVAP purge valve is not installed backwards

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
The coolant temp sensor might be independent of itself and might be......the coolant temp sensor! :) Easy fix, 20 bucks and could be whats causing the rough idle, something about the sensor telling the car its hotter than it is and the air/fuel mixture getting messed up.

Now I think the other 2 are related. Either your gas cap is lose or your EVAP emissions core is busted, its a little piece that's like $40 that you clip on the fuel line in the engine bay. When you fill up with gas, does the car hesitate to start?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The coolant temp sensor might be independent of itself and might be......the coolant temp sensor! :) Easy fix, 20 bucks and could be whats causing the rough idle, something about the sensor telling the car its hotter than it is and the air/fuel mixture getting messed up.

Now I think the other 2 are related. Either your gas cap is lose or your EVAP emissions core is busted, its a little piece that's like $40 that you clip on the fuel line in the engine bay. When you fill up with gas, does the car hesitate to start?
Yeah I have the temp sensor lol I guess I'll let you guys know when I change it! And It's not the gas cap, I checked some time ago. And my car doesn't hesistate when I fill it up but I'll listen more closely next time.

Just looking to see if you guys had an extra advice. While I waited for the rain to stop.

"Check to make sure EVAP purge valve is not installed backwards" <- I'll check on that as well.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
This is where I got the info on the codes, for future reference: Ross-Tech Wiki Its my go-to for deciphering codes.

·
Registered
512 Posts
For The P0445, try cleaning the PCV valve first. It's part of the intake air duct next to throttle, not difficult to find. Pull it out and use carb cleaner to shoot from both sides. You might find that it's very dirty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts