NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my understanding the slave clutch cylinder works with brake fluid. I had a major problem leaking transmission fluid after my engine mounts broke due to a giant pot hole that went across the road in central america. I had the mounts replaced though I am leaking transmission fluid. A friend had mentioned that it is the throw out bearing or the slave cylinder though I heard from a mechanic the slave works with the brake fluid which is not leaking. any help would be appreciated, I miss driving my car and seems every mechanic says it is some thing else.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The slave cylinder would not cause leaking transmission fluid. You probably have a crack in the transmission case.
It is leaking out of a factory hole in the bell housing. I was told a piece in the slave cylinder could be bent or the throw out bearing may be bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is leaking out of a factory hole in the bell housing. I was told a piece in the slave cylinder could be bent or the throw out bearing may be bad.
Assuming you have a 5 speed, there is a sleeve & seal around the input shaft that could be leaking. I don't see the slave cylinder or throw out bearing causing the problem. You'll have to pull the trans. to find out.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I had a major problem leaking transmission fluid. I miss driving my car and seems every mechanic says it is some thing else.
So, does it only leak when you drive it? Does it leak less when it just sits? Are you sure it is gear oil leaking? It has a very di-stinkdy smell! Does it leave a puddle? You can check the level in your gearbox yourself pretty easy.
We are here to help save you money!

Sent:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for your help. It is a 5 speed and only leaks transmission fluid when it is driven. It leaks very quickly when it is driven. In I would say less then 100 miles the check engine light comes on due to low transmission fluid. It can leak between one and two quarts in 100 miles. I have only driven it maybe 50 miles and some stupid mechanic who basically robbed me felt he could borrow my car and drive it about 100 miles while he was fixing my engine mounts. It started to leak right after my I bottomed out and my engine rear engine mount went. It does not leak at all when it is parked. Maybe two drops or so from when it was leaking on the road.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is at a mechanic now, down here in central america, who is dropping the gearbox to see. He mentioned the piece that could be leaking has a sensor that works with the ignition. My spanish is no better then his English. Does any one know what he is talking about? Good thing is he is only charging me 80 to drop it and see and fix it if he can get the part he says will be about 85 dollars or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is at a mechanic now, down here in central america, who is dropping the gearbox to see. He mentioned the piece that could be leaking has a sensor that works with the ignition. My spanish is no better then his English. Does any one know what he is talking about? Good thing is he is only charging me 80 to drop it and see and fix it if he can get the part he says will be about 85 dollars or so.
I don't think it is your transmission that is leaking. There is no sensor on the transmission that would set off the check engine light. Low engine oil pressure would turn on the oil light. When you add fluid where are you adding it? What kind of fluid are you adding? It could be a rear main seal on the engine. That would leak out of the bellhousing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I just got word from the mechanic. He said it is the retainer as mentioned that was leaking. The clutch is covered in transmission oil and is ruined. He said that the clutch kit is usually sold with the retainer and I have to go pick it up and bring it to a place here in Guatemala that makes really good clutches for half of what they go for in America. Probably less then half. I had picked up a car from for a friend from this place and to switch his clutch plus labor was about 220 american dollars. I will keep you up to date on how things progress.

regarding the check engine light, it comes on when the oil is low. It may be a coincidence though it shuts off when I fill up the gear box, at the designated 17mm fill value with gear oil. The gear oil I am adding is...80W-90. It was the only gear oil the store sold.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hopefully you guys get it all figured out. At least,labor is cheap enough down there. I definitely wish I could come visit you when it's time to put a clutch in my car! It sounds like you're in good hands, I'm really glad to see things going your way.

Sent :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which model and year do you need one for I can ship it to you if you would like. 99 beetle petro is the same clutch as 01 tdi? Ill get prices and photos of what they got down here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I need a new flywheel too. I got a price of 600 for a complete kit which is about the same as the one from idparts with shipping. IThere is a gouge in the inner ring of the flywheel. The clutch pads are cheap down here and the labor though the flywheels not. I need a new transmission sleeve and seal that goes in the flywheel to though luckily the dealer was actually cheaper then idparts in this case. Taxes are crazy when importing to this country. They even tax on shipping and insurance. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow to have a more complete detail of this issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are thinking that when the last guy who did a number on all sorts of parts on this car switched the clutch plate he put the clutch plate in backwards. You can see the wear patterns on the other side of the clutch which is a bit wider. The car did make squeaking noise when out and going down large hills. I think as one end is a bit wider it was causing the issue with the gears and making them stick. I think the real problem was caused possibly when I bottomed out and the seal went. I am going to try and replace the seal that was causing the leak and reinstalling the clutch the proper way. The wear marks on the pad are because it is new. The thing is it was not having issues sticking in gear or not going into gear before the leak though I think with the fluid on the clutch pad it was forced into the flywheel and this was causing it to happen after the wear. Notice the wear marks. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had done some reading and the throw out bearing was said to be leaking. In a clutch kit the throw out bearing is included though this piece is not. This piece and not the throw out bearing is what leaks. idparts has it for 66.33 here at the stealership I paid 318Q which is about 45 dollars. I do like id parts and should say that the stealership wanted almost 800 for the clutch kit where idparts is as low as 359.

In any case the sleeve is dented as you can see and does not move smoothly inside of the bearing. The car is being put together now and I hope to test the new piece and clutch in the proper position later this evening.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The throw out bearing is free moving as I am told the clutch and fly wheel are. the seal in the sleeve looks fine though the dented sleeve may cause some movement that the seal can not handle which leads to the leaking of transmission fluid out of the bell housing.

Why is my tdi leaking transmission fluid out of the bell housing?
Because your seal is not working properly. I hope this helps.

I also hope my test drive later goes well. The mechanic said I should be able to get another 6 to 8 months out of the clutch, though may have said this as he told me to get a new clutch and did not want to make me feel they were incompetent. I surely was incompetent though luckily my father in law saw the issue. Time will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shifts great. No more issues. I drove it about 40 miles so far. Looking forward to a long site seeing trip next weekend into the jungle region of Guatemala to test it further. Thanks for all the help and advice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update. The check engine light came on and it is leaking transmission fluid. I hope to get the code read later.

On a separate note I just found out about usb obc 2 wires so I can read the codes with my laptop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts