NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to duplicate a Valet key for my 99 Beetle. Don't need remote function, but just open the door and start the car. The current key I have is a remote key.

So can I just buy an uncut key from Ebay,like this one 1998 1999 VW Beetle Cabrio Golf Jetta Passet High Security Key Blank HU66P | eBay
and take it with my remote key to Home Depot to order one?

As I know, the original 99 Beetle key is not a smart key.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
home depot can't cut the key. An automotive locksmith might be able to depending on if the key blank is steel or plated brass.

At least the 99's don't have an immobilizer with a chipped key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
home depot can't cut the key. An automotive locksmith might be able to depending on if the key blank is steel or plated brass.

At least the 99's don't have an immobilizer with a chipped key.
You mention that the cut can only be made depending on the type of metal it's composed of, but you don't elaborate on which is the only type that can be cut. Is it the Steel Key, or the Plated Brass Key? I'm assuming the Steel Key is the only one, but am unsure. Please let me know!

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I went to my local locksmith, he only explained me that there is a metal harder than the other one and if the the cut in the middle of the key is close to the edges, it might break the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I talked to the parts guy at the dealership where I used to work about this. He said they have a different kind of metal which breaks the bits used to cut the keys, which cost around a $100. He won't cut them.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Sidewinder key, as posted above. We've had them cut a few VW keys for us. They go by the VIN.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I talked to the parts guy at the dealership where I used to work about this. He said they have a different kind of metal which breaks the bits used to cut the keys, which cost around a $100. He won't cut them.
Same story at the dealer I use to work at. Once they found out the ebay keys were ruining the bit on the sidewinder cutter, they stopped cutting them.

Those China keys have a low brass content in them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts