VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '02 with a dead tape deck style monsoon radio and a 6 disc CD changer in the trunk. Fuse 42 was blown, and replacing that fuse didn't bring the radio back to life.

Does the convenience control module power the radio? I think I'm having issues with that too.

I see on ebay there are CD/MP3 versions of this monsoon radio, so I thought that might be a good upgrade, while keeping the car original looking. My guess is, it's plug and play.

So my big question is; will the 6 disc CD changer still work?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
If you get the correct radio your 6 changer cd will work. You need this type of radio
VW Volkswagen Beetle Bug Radio Stereo Monsoon MP3 CD Player Factory 98 2010 | eBay

Notice it has cd and cdp as choices on the right hand control
Not a Sat. ready radio.There is no support for a cd changer in a sat. radio

Also make sure it says Monsoon on the front. The none Monsoon version looks just like the monsoon without the name.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and the link! That's what I'll get.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got an '02 with a dead tape deck style monsoon radio and a 6 disc CD changer in the trunk. Fuse 42 was blown, and replacing that fuse didn't bring the radio back to life.

Does the convenience control module power the radio? I think I'm having issues with that too.

I see on ebay there are CD/MP3 versions of this monsoon radio, so I thought that might be a good upgrade, while keeping the car original looking. My guess is, it's plug and play.

So my big question is; will the 6 disc CD changer still work?
Just curious if you had done it yet? I recently did this and had no issues with anything working and didn't have to have a code. But now I realize the cd player is staying on constantly and draining my battery. How did it work for you if you have done it?

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. I was able to get the original cassette deck working, and then bought a 6 disc mag for the changer, since that was missing when we bought the car.....only to find out the changer was FUBAR. So back to ebay, and scored a factory rebuilt changer for 50-something. Good enough for now.

But ours was killing the battery when it arrived from the used car lot a few weeks ago. Actually douched a brand new $169 battery that the dealer had installed a couple months ago. I found the auxiliary coolant pump was running all the time, and it also seemed that there was an issue with the stereo. The coolant pump cured itself before I could buy a new fan control module, and after I installed a good used comfort convenience module, the stereo worked and it's fuse stopped blowing. So far, so good.

Of course I still don't have a functioning:
-alarm system
-power door lock system
-power mirror system
-auto open and close window system w/ key
-driver's door window
-passenger window via the driver's door switch

Have a stack of used parts sitting here, but haven't had a chance to throw them at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts