NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's time to buy my first set of replacement tires. I'd like to get more sidewall height for (hopefully) not as hard a ride as I'm getting now and less revolutions per mile for better mileage.

I wanted to know if anyone knows how high a sidewall I can put on this car without inteference. The car is currently riding on 225/45/17's.

Any help is appreciated.
Thsnks
trshman

PS. It's an '04.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PRM502STREET,
Thanks for the response. I checked the specs. I'm going to try the 225/55's. They have a 26.8" diameter compared to the 26.3" diameter of your 235/50's. I'm sure I've got the clearance for them.

Also I like your ride. Good looking car. This is my first VW and first Bug. It's a helluva car. Big change from the one we took to Woodstock. I've also got an Expedition and a '66 LeMans, both of which are gas guzzlers. I needed something more economical to operate so I bought this. Here's a pix of mine.
Thanks again, bob g.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Man, I wish I had a convertible those things are sweet.
Just a word of caution, I had to knock in the very bottom of my spring perch,where it meets at the top of the inside of the front tires. It took a few test fit sessions, but a three pound sledge gave it that extra quarter inch of clearance it needed. I just want to warn you it's really tight fit but it can be done.:)
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I wish I had a convertible those things are sweet.
Just a word of caution, I had to knock in the very bottom of my spring perch,where it meets at the top of the inside of the front tires. It took a few test fit sessions, but a three pound sledge gave it that extra quarter inch of clearance it needed. I just want to warn you it's really tight fit but it can be done.:)
Ah yes, the indispensable hammer- a must in every tool box:)
I didn't intend to buy a convert but I liked the turbo and 5 speed combo so I went for it. When I first saw the car I thought all I"d need is a pair of pom poms and I'd look like I should be off to cheerleading practice. I got over it :)
I appreciate the "heads up" but my guess is it should be fine. We'll see. Looking at your car it appears you've got a pretty close to the upper edge of the wheel well. I've got 2+ inches clearance there. My current tires have a 25.1" diameter while the 225/55's (which I've settled on) have a 26.8" dia. so I'm not expecting a problem(which is usually when something happens :) ). Is it possible the suspension is different on the convert compared to the hardtop? Or would it have anything to do with the car being a turbo?. Whatever the rason your ride height looks real nice. I hope I come close to looking like that.

Again, thanks for the input.
bob g.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thank You. It's amazing what a good riding set of tires will do to any car.:)
As far as I know all mk iv, New Beetle, Jetta and Golf suspensions are pretty much the same no major differences.
Go for it, I like the fact that the bigger tires actually corrected my speedometer also!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts