VW Beetle Forum banner

Can i service the transmission myself?

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  scottyboy24 
#1 ·
Can i service the transmission myself?

I know it does not have a dipstick, so WTH would i put the new transmission fluid in at?:dunno:

2010 Beetle Cabrio 2.5L 5cyl.

Thanks!

#2 ·
#3 ·
Man that was fast!

Dang it! I've already purchased a gasket and filter!
Should i take it back?

If this kit cost $130.00, how much does the VW dealership charge to change it?
I have never seen such expensive tranny fluid and kit!
The parts and fluid for this frikin VW, are costing me more than my 97 Corvette parts and fluids do!:runnethov

And here is a really dumb question for ya!
I guess i am just too much of a true American, but how many qts is = to 6 liters? I am googling it now! lol:D

#5 ·
There are quite a few places; that sell the 09G compatible fluid. Blauparts.com; is nice because they have whole kits with everything you need and they typically have things on sale with a coupon code. It can be cheaper; just finding the fluid, without a whole kit; here are some other places to buy fluid:

for bluparts: just use their search feature:

http://www.blauparts.com/select.asp

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ie=UTF-8#q=vw new beetle 09g fluid change diy

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L Maintenance Transmission - ECS Tuning

GermanAutoParts.com : Volkswagen New Beetle Transmission

diy:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ie=UTF-8#q=vw new beetle 09g fluid change diy

#6 ·
OOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGG!

The local VW service center, wants $369.00 plus tax to service the tranny!

I had a fit, when the local Corvette man wanted $250.00 to do my Vette!

Is everything this expensive on a VW Beetle?

Well, one thing is for sure, I hope the mechanic at the VW shop, doesn't try to hold his breath until i get there! lol:D

I got a refund on the filter, so i can just buy the entire kit that includes that tool.
Does the hose/pump/tube/tool, drain the fluid also? Or is it just used to fill it?

#7 ·
BILLY,
I was about to place my order for the atf kit, when i read something about having to get the fluid to a certain temp, before you know how much to put in to get it to the correct level.
Can you explain this?
Do you think, I should not try this and pay the $380 to vw shop?
Or am i just worrying too much about this job?

Also, i posted asking if the entire 6 liters included w/kit is required for one atf change?

Thanks again for all you help!

#8 · (Edited)
VWVortex.com - 09G DIY filter and fluid change 6 speed auto

VCDS/VAGCOM is preferred to read the trans temp but if you read the above diy, a infrared temp gun could do the job as well (cheap at harbor freight).

Search results for: 'infrared temp gun'

I have not done this job myself but reading the diy, it seems you will probably use close to, the amount that comes out in the oil pan. The torque convertor; is full of fluid and there does not seem to be a way to drain it out. So, technically; you won't remove ALL the fluid but some of it. Some diy's I have read; people changed the fluid, multiple times... thus increasing the % of old vs. new fluid. There may be professional transmission fluid exchangers that could replaced all the fluid and cycle it out of the system, not all shops have this capability but some do.

Maybe, others; who have actually done the service can chime in or tell you about the full fluid flush, if they took it to a shop that has that capability.

If you are trying to save money and diy; I wouldn't over think it, change the fluid to the best of your ability. Then, move on to other things that need attention. :)

#9 ·
---------------------------------------------------------------
BILLY, Yep, all that info helped a lot! I already have a IR temp gun

I Found this in the comment section on a atf change on a Jetta 2.5 on youtube
>>>>>>>>"Though you only drained 4 qts. of the old transmission oil, the other half is held in the torque converter so you only swapped just over half the used oil. Though that is better than nothing you didn't really service or flush out your system. Better way is to unplug the transmission cooler inlet line after you drain the pan, pour in the amt of new oil you drained, run the car and have the remaining oil pumped out while you pour in new oil till it runs clean (measuring this and adding the appropriate amt)."

Do you think this would be the same for the Beetle?
Do you think the dealership does it this way for the $359.00?

One more thing.>>>> Also i was looking around and found some Royal Purple Max ATF (VW G 055 025 A2) designed for 09g tranny. I have always heard nothing but great things about their oil. Would you consider this, or would you stick to the German ATF's?

#10 · (Edited)
Hey, I think that technique would work; pretty much a poor mans trans flush (the principle being the same). :). I don't know, how a vw dealership; would do a trans fluid change, you would have to ask the, see what they do (fluid/converter wise).

As for the transmission fluid; I would search for fluid that specifically meets or exceeds vw service requirements with the specific vw spec codes. I feel more comfortable, with German brands that have the vw specs imprinted on the bottle and types that come up in their online catalogs (Pentosin, Vaico, Ravenol, Febi, Meyle, genuine Volkswagen, etc.). If the royal purple says that it specifically meets Volkswagens requirements; then, I don't see why not. However, the company that makes the transmission for Volkswagen is ASIN; so, many have stated they believe that following ASIN fluid recommendations is just as good and can save you money. That is a judgement call you have to make! Personally, considering how expensive the trans costs to repair or replace; I am more conservative and stick with Volkswagen spec recommended fluids. Whatever, the added cost of fluids; is cheaper, than the cost of repairing the trans. If worst case scenario; everything went south! Why risk it?

Here are some examples of fluid brands and choices:

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/New Beetle/Transmission/261/1

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--2.5L/Drivetrain/Automatic_Transmission/

Here is a good video; showing the fluid change process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2GNF9atWmo

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
I changed mine. Wasnt a big deal but I did it at my mechanic friend's shop so he had this pump up thing to get the fluid to run uphill and into the fill tube since it's kind of a pain to get to. Can't remember what I had to do to get the cap off for filling. Emptied by drain and took off tray to get to filter for filter change too. Somewhere on here was a thread that went through all the steps.

#12 ·
Thank you, IggysMom!
Sorry,i am late for everything! lol;)
i have been away a while and still have not got this atf changed!

Now i find out the daughter's bug has a small oil leak, after changing the oil that is coming from the oil filter housing. This is the 2nd change since we bought it and it leaked from here both times. I just started a thread about it, looking for inputs, in case you have had this problem before. (and yes, i did remember to replace the rubber gasket.lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.