VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 NB, Can the fog light lenses be replaced? Polished? They work fine, just blasted with road debris and quite scratched / pitted. Thanks! Dave

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The fog lamp; from VW has lens/housing part and then a back cover to seal the unit. Back in the day; they sold protective covers and film coverings, to protect them from road damage (I don't know; if those are still available, many of the early New Beetle aftermarket accessories are NLA).

As far as polishing them; you could use, traditional glass polishing techniques/kits:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=auto glass polishing

On the other hand; you might see what the prices for new fog lights are and weigh the cost/effort, vs buying new.

From the dealer; the prices are high (MSRP: $120 or so), you might look at aftermarket new ($40-$80) or used from a junk yard:

http://parts.vw.com/parts/2003/Volkswagen/Beetle/GLX?siteid=9&vehicleid=139812&diagram=9210020

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
nope

I don't think so I have not seen just the lens. VW wants you to buy the whole light so they can make more money. You can also go without the fog lights they sell a grille without the fog light holes. try ebay

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fogs

Thanks all for the replies. I did look on ebay and did see the whole fog light assembly as far down as 36$ a piece. I thought they were more like $125! I just recently polished the headlights with one of those 3M kits and they look pretty darn good. Somehow there are bugs inside the right side headlight!

Are the fog light lenses glass (no polish) or plastic (yes polish)? I'd think junkyard fogs would be as pitted as what I've got! D

ps- esse- I believe that blue beetle in your pic has the same wheels mine has. My center caps are REALLY salted up. I cant find replacements ANYwhere. Well I haven't called a dealer actually. Might cause cardiac arrest.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I believe that the stock/original fog light lenses; are glass. Thus, you might be able to polish them with a glass restoration kit.

As for your center caps; pop one off and the part number, should be there or call your local VW dealer or email/call online dealers like VW Parts | Volkswagen Parts with your VIN #.

If the center caps are not broken; you might try to refinish/repaint them with the Duplicolor line of auto paints, available at most auto parts stores. I repainted some door handle covers and the paint matching was pretty much identical to my stock "reflex silver" color of my New Beetle. I think; if you prep the parts correctly and find a color match; you might be surprised with the results (as long as the center vw logo is still in good shape)? Check out the website for more info: http://www.duplicolor.com/product

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fog Light replacements

The fog lights on my daughter's 03 NBC were very pitted, and one was cracked. The bottom grill and piece of molding that surrounds the grill was also cracked - it was bought this way, but not really noticeable as the crack was under the fascia. We replaced the fascia, re-used the grill, and replaced the fog lights with a pair that I purchased from Amazon. The replacements are not OEM, but you'd never know it. They were $70 for the pair, and the only difference in the new versus the old OEM's are the missing "made in Mexico" label and the new ones are not pitted. The replacements have solid glass lenses and the fitment was perfect. The manufacturer of the replacements is DEPO. They came with bulbs and all.Just an FYI in the event you ever need to actually replace yours.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fogs

Edens- thanks for the note. Yes I thought I'd just replace them both along with a respray of the whole lower painted facia panel, which is chipped and pitted quite badly. Best I found was $36 each on ebay. A springtime project I think. Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts