NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I am a woman and my 19 year old daughter bought a 2001 beetle 2.0 L GLS and has had nothing but problems with it. Today she took it to a local auto store and they told her she needed all new wiring. The codes were as follows: P0137, P0304, P1255, and P1296. I don't know anything about cars and any help would be greatly appreciated! !

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Yes, I am a woman and my 19 year old daughter bought a 2001 beetle 2.0 L GLS and has had nothing but problems with it. Today she took it to a local auto store and they told her she needed all new wiring. The codes were as follows: P0137, P0304, P1255, and P1296. I don't know anything about cars and any help would be greatly appreciated! !
First off? Welcome to the group and DON'T PANIC!

All new wiring? Maybe a repair to the wiring, but most likely not an entirely new harness.

Ok. P0137. Rear O2 sensor issue. Could be a wiring issue or bad sensor...or bad converter. We'll need to know more and do some leg work to figure that out.

P0304: Miss-fire on #4 cylinder. When is the last time the car had a tune up? This could be anything from a bad spark plug, spark plug wire(s), or the coil pack itself. (ours is the coil pack doing it to #1 cylinder)

P1255: Engine coolant sensor short to ground. The sensor is located at the rear of the engine, just above the transmission. Looking for a black plastic bit with a lot of hoses coming off of it. (follow the radiator hose) You'll see a sensor with a set of wires going straight down into that plastic. If it has a green top? It's 50/50 it might be bad. (The factory one was I believe black..and failed a lot) Still, it's a very inexpensive part and actually easy to change.

P1296: Cooling system fault code. And you have a code for a possible bad sensor. I think it might be possible for both codes to be interconnected.

If you are not comfortable working on cars and getting your hands dirty? You need to find a decent repair shop that isn't scared of the VW badge on the hood.

Also I hate to say this? This car might need some decent basic maintenance. Last time the timing belt/waterpump/thermostat changed out? If the car has never had that done? It needs to be addressed.

There are a lot of possible issues that need to be worked out. And you've come to the right place for ideas. I'm not trying to slam a parts-jockey from behind a counter---but they shouldn't suggest replacement of the entire harness, because that is like trying to put a small nail in the wall for a picture--using a sledge hammer.

Is this something you're willing to get 'dirty' working on yourself? Or would you like suggestions on possible issues so that you can suggest things to your family mechanic?

S-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your reply! My daughter had her spark plugs changed within the last three months. She recently drove into a big pot hole which is common for our winters and 19 year old who aren't paying attention. She broke her oil pan. She pulled over and the vehicle was towed. Her friend replaced her radiator and her oil pan, and it initially ran fine with the small test drive around the block. As she drove It further it started to lose power and she could barely make it up a hill. So that's when she took the car to a local auto store and they advised her of what I posted previously. Her boyfriend can work on it with a little guidance.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply! My daughter had her spark plugs changed within the last three months. She recently drove into a big pot hole which is common for our winters and 19 year old who aren't paying attention. She broke her oil pan. She pulled over and the vehicle was towed. Her friend replaced her radiator and her oil pan, and it initially ran fine with the small test drive around the block. As she drove It further it started to lose power and she could barely make it up a hill. So that's when she took the car to a local auto store and they advised her of what I posted previously. Her boyfriend can work on it with a little guidance.
You're not from Fulton, NY by chance? Because we are in the lead for potholes that can eat cars....

It's very possible that something wiring related might have been damaged as well. I'm not going to rule that out. However you do have a few codes for the cooling system--and the O2 code? I think is for the rear sensor, and that one just reports the condition of the converter--and doesn't factor into the air/fuel mixture. Yes it needs to be checked and addressed. But one thing at a time.

I would recommend picking up a Haynes Manual for the car. This way everyone can have access to specs and procedures. And I would check into the cooling system codes first--that's just me however.

One question--is the check engine light flashing at any time? On steady just means the codes got stored and set. Flashing means the miss-fire is happening NOW and the engine should not be driven that much. (it can damage the converter and other such nasty things)

Others will have ideas and should chime in as well. I'm just an ol' shade tree mechanic now'n days. We have some real talent that can also help out.

S-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOl. No actually Illinois. My daughter said that her check engine light is steady but the coolant light is flashing.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If the coolant light is flashing, then the coolant level may be low.

Here is a good start to finding a VW mechanic. General mechanics and auto stores are clueless when it comes to these cars.
Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State - TDIClub Forums

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"If the coolant light is flashing, then the coolant level may be low.Here is a good start to finding a VW mechanic. General mechanics and auto stores are clueless when it comes to these cars.Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State - TDIClub Forums"

All fluids have been replaced. The closest TDI Mechanic is 3 hours away. :mad:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Even if they were "replaced" there could have been an air pocket in the cooling system that has worked its way out. I would check the level.

And that list is just a start. Here is another list, if you check post #5: VWVortex.com - Midwest Frequently asked Questions

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Have to ask...What color is your coolant?

If it's green? Houston we have a problem.......

Air pockets in a 2.0 can be a full blown pain in the wazzzooooo. It took 3 tries with ours to get the flippen thing "burped".

The TDI is a good reference. However that also is for diesel engines. Diesels are their own little beasts at times. Wish I knew of additional help to offer. Sometimes a good old fashion walk through the yellow pages--and asking others for references could help.

S-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts