VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know if we can use an ECM/ECU from a salvage vehicle (that ran, wrecked) in y 01 Beetle 1.8 T AT w/cruise control? It also needs the in/out o2 sensors....??????? Please help me. The dealership is talkin big $$$, I'm willin to bring it home and play in the shop with it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes I'm pretty sure you can, as long as it's the same map etc. Plenty of used ones on eBay at sensible money...

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked up Hitler and drove him home today...

After sitting for about five and a half weeks... he started and ran pretty smooth for the 52 miles home.... everything worked. Will get new brain within a week and see if I can trust it again. Thanks for all the help and advice, I'll post when the next verdict comes in after repairs are made. So far, I have way too much invested/blown on this car... good thing the interior is good, and it is still cute.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on Hitler and his brain *ECU troubles...

We chose to replace the upstream/downstream o2 sensors and drive it for a while and see how it does... before switching out the ECU...??? What does anyone here think? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
So, how is the car running? We never really got a full story; as to why, the vw dealership, wanted to replace the ecu. Have the issues; that you were having gone away? Do you have a scan tool; to "see" what is going on? If you do not; I recommend getting a ELM 327 or VAG 401 off of amazon.com and that way, you can check and see, that everything is working as it should.

If in fact the ecu is bad; you may want to have it repaired and that way, you don't have to pay for extra programming, key matching, and the repair is "plug/play", repair complete. Check out BBA REMAN:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Aud...Volkswagen+Engine+Control+Unit+REPAIR+SERVICE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-VW-Bos...ECM-/331594994398?vxp=mtr&hash=item4d349a12de

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! ECU/ECM reply

It has been throwing throttle body and secondary air injection issues... none found. They said that the front and rear o2 sensors are bad... they are now replaced. ( They wanted $700.)... They thought the ECU was shorting out... not sure. Anyway, it runs perfect so far now... We do have an OBDll.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have no idea about fuel trim... but ...?

I don't know about fuel trims... car is running fine again, but it is still throwing the 16795 code with CEL on... clear it, run another 200 miles, it goes back on. We did not exchange the ECU. We just put new upstream/downstream o2 sensors in it...???

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Billymade... you are a great help!

Thanks for the links and info..we will work on that next time we want to do more "brain surgery" on this car...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts