NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, a new person started at my job. A few days after that, she said she saw my pictures at my desk, and proceeded to tell me about her beloved 2001 Vortex Blue 1.8T New Beetle. She said that although she loved it, she had several problems with it, and traded it in for a (she was embarrassed to tell me) a Saturn. She loved my pics, and pines for a new New Beetle.

Anyway, she brought me a little gift today. One of those "oil and water" with floaty things, thing. I saw a New Beetle in there, but thought it looked a little funny. She said, "the Beetle used to float" :( Then it made sense.

My question: It this fixable? Can the cover be removed, and the Beetle refloated? I will mail to you, if you think you can attempt this.

Here it is. I discovered that the Bug is pink! :)

Attachments

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
The science teacher in me thinks this has to be a density issue. The density of the bug has changed, most likely because it absorbed some of the water. The tricky part would be getting the cover off. I bet it is glued on to the base. They had to make it a watertight seal so I bet it would break before it would snap off. If there was a way to get it out I bet you could let the bug dry out awhile and then it would float on the denser blue stuff, again. I'm not confident that the cover can be removed and re-glued. Probably a pretty solid glue job. I'm assuming you already tryed pulling and/or maybe prying the base off.

Good luck.

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
I agree with the above. It may originally have had air inside the beetle and through repeated handling lost its buoyancy. I would say leave it be...

I thought by the title of your post, we were gonna go treasure hunting!:D

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got your attention, 'tho.....;)

Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured that was the case. Oh well. Thank you all anyway. ;)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
It all depends on how badly you want this to happen. You could use a rotary saw to cut the bottom off of the container. Filter out any of the plastic shards, and dry out the bug. If the bug sprang a leak, that would then have to be repaired as well. Then re-bond the bottom back onto the container.
Might be easier to try and find a new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts