NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on painting the tops of my door panels and the runway portion of my dashboard with a glossy finish. I wanted to see some painted dashboards and door panels to get an idea of what the colors would look like. Could anyone with a painted dash post a picture of their dashboard or door panels? And could someone tell me how to remove the rear door panel? Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
I can't post a picture of my dash at the moment, but the removal of the rear card is pretty simple. Lift up the back seat so you can get under the card and then pull out, then up. The clips at the top are a little tricky to get back in correctly. If this is your first removal, they are not going to want to come out. You have to be a little persuasive lol. But if you do it right, you won't break any clips and if you do they are available at Lowes or Napa.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't post a picture of my dash at the moment, but the removal of the rear card is pretty simple. Lift up the back seat so you can get under the card and then pull out, then up. The clips at the top are a little tricky to get back in correctly. If this is your first removal, they are not going to want to come out. You have to be a little persuasive lol. But if you do it right, you won't break any clips and if you do they are available at Lowes or Napa.
Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can someone post some pictures or give some advice on what type of finish would be best for a daily driver?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like some chrome covers for the ac knobs and to chrome the dash covers (currently painted sort of an aluminum color). If anyone has a line on these in chrome I would be interested. Going for a retro look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
door arm rest

I covered mine with leather look fabric from lens mill store it cost about $8 per yard 54inches wide and use elmers spray glue

·
Registered
21 Posts
Painted Batik Blue (vw paint code LG5T) to match exterior

Hi! I pulled the entire center "runway" out of my car first and then had O'Reilly's (auto parts store here in TN, not sure they are all over) mix me a 1 step paint to match my exterior. If you are interested in doing that you can just give them your paint color code (located on a sticker under the carpet in your trunk either on or near the spare tire or on your title). They will also give you some reducer and a ratio of how to mix paint and reducer. Then I added the mixture to a Preval disposable sprayer (8 bucks at lowe's) to spray it thoroughly. This is how it turned out. I'm actually pulling every single interior panel out of my car and painting them one at a time.

The centerpiece looks subtle but the rest won't be at all as they will all be the color of the door panel you see in the pic. My next project is either going to be the glove box, the rear panels, or the headliner and pillars but all of those seem like major jobs that require a large amount of quiet and patience (especially since to pull the glove box I have to remove the centerpiece again) so I'm rebuilding my calm before I give it a shot.

Keep posting pics of your work, I'm anxious to see how it turns out!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Some parts of the dash eg radio surround feels like it's got a rubber finish to it,I wonder under the rubber finish it could be shiny

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
That looks great. I just finished painting my gauge cluster "brow" and a few other interior caps/ gloss black with a few coats of clear and like the results. Also just recently picked up a Bernt 3-gauge pod and have been debating whether to go with a flat black paint to match the rest or to continue with the gloss black. I think you helped me make up my mind ;)

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1402425973.766442.jpg

Finally got a picture of mine. I need to re clear it. It apparently wasn't quite dry when I put it in and dust is stuck in it now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts