NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my lemon of a beetle in bc the check engine light was on. It seems the light was on due to a Temperature Sending Unit problem. No biggie. But when I was there, they also told me my transmission was bad and I needed to replace with a DSG tran. I was told by a VW friend, that was ridiculous as you don't ut DSG tran. into my car -

Can anyone confirm/deny this to be the case? I dont plan to get it replaced, but I'm trying to figure out if I should ask for my money back due to poor car service at the shop.

Make: 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible
Engine: 4-1984 2.0L SOHC

QUOTE FROM THE SHOP:
Replace Transmission
Remove and Replace components as required to access and install materials, and/or perform needed service. Additional fluids may be required to complete this service. Retest and verify repair as required. Perform final road test where applicable.

DSG Transmission

55 GALLON DRUM - SYNTHETIC BLEND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The DSG was first released in 2004 in the US market on the TDI New Beetle and the Audi TT. Not sure when the GAS Model Beetle's got the first DSG. If your Beetle has a DSG there should be a DSG emblem on the shifter itself.

VW Audi DSG S-tronic FAQ with common DSG problems, the sensor recall, and video reviews

Here is another link I found on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

That one is a bit confusing since it shows on the application below that the DSG was not available on New Beetle's in North America. So I don't know if that is correct or not. I personally believe that odds of you having a DSG transmission are very slim. What shop did you take your car to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks IndyTom, It does not currently have a DSG. It has a standard tiptronic transmission. Knowing this, is a DSG tran even a possibility?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks IndyTom, It does not currently have a DSG. It has a standard tiptronic transmission. Knowing this, is a DSG tran even a possibility?
I don't see why not. Anything is possible for a price ;)

That said I don't think it would be worth it. The DSG transmission is very expensive and if it were a GTi or an Audi TT I would say go for it since it would make a difference on how the car shifts and performs. But on a regular 2.0L engine it really wouldn't make that much of a difference at least not to justify the expense in my opinion. If your transmission is really bad I would say get a good rebuilt transmission installed. But I would get a second opinion. That shop you took it too doesn't seem to be too knowledgable with VW/Audi transmissions. A lot of times it is the Valve Body that fails in the 6 speed Tiptronic transmission in which case the transmission wouldn't need to be replaced.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
Why do they say your trans is bad? Has it been shifting properly? Any codes for the trans?

Sounds like they are taking you for a ride, personally. Doesn't sound like they know VWs at all.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Really confused here...copied from the original post

DSG Transmission

55 GALLON DRUM - SYNTHETIC BLEND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID

Is the shop saying that you need a DSG Transmission and a 55 gallon drum of fluid?

If so they are stocking up for the next few years....

Krash

1 - 6 of 6 Posts