VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi experts!

This is my first post on here, so apologies if I break any of the unwritten rules, or make any newbie faux pas.

I am in the process of removing the engine for a complete overhaul of my 2 litre bug (2000 X-plate), but I cannot disable the anti-theft system. I’ve looked everywhere for the fuse box and relay diagrams, and none of the images I can find quite match what I’m seeing in my car.

In all of the information I have seen so far, it suggests that on the top of the relay box in position H or J there should be the relays for the anti theft...but there is nothing in those positions at all. In fact, the 4 relay positions at the top seem to be labelled A through D, instead of F through J.

I have removed a number of other relays but still the alarm goes off all the time. I don’t think any of the fuses in the side panel will help, but I’m starting to lose confidence that I can solve this...so please help!

I will even consider cutting a fewchosen wires if I have to...but i just need to disable the alarm so I can continue with my engine overhaul, without waking the whole street!

thanks!

·
Registered
14,612 Posts
So, the typically issue with the alarm going off randomly; is the door lock module microswitches are bad (a replacement; will fix this issue), thus the alarm gets confused and it goes off, when it shouldn't. A scan with a VW scan tool; will normally, show a vw factory trouble code and this will indicate the fault/issue.

If you are in the middle of a repair; disconnecting the battery, would kill the alarm and electricity, to the car (until you fix the problem). You could possibly disconnect the alarm horn, fuse or relay and reconnect it later, after issues are resolved.

·
Registered
14,612 Posts
The alarm horn; is located, in the plenum area.

·
Registered
14,612 Posts

On a USA/North American spec New Beetle; 2000 model with the 2.0L,
the relay is position # 9- Alarm Horn Relay (53)

I don't know, if this is the case; for a UK spec new beetle, you could try pulling relays, until the alarm horn, stops beeping.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you are going to remove the engine to rebuild it, you absolutely MUST not only disconnect the battery but you will also need to remove the battery. Alarm problem solved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are going to remove the engine to rebuild it, you absolutely MUST not only disconnect the battery but you will also need to remove the battery. Alarm problem solved.
The alarm seems to have its own power source, because removing the battery causes the alarm to trigger, and it won’t stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

On a USA/North American spec New Beetle; 2000 model with the 2.0L,
the relay is position # 9- Alarm Horn Relay (53)

I don't know, if this is the case; for a UK spec new beetle, you could try pulling relays, until the alarm horn, stops beeping.
Ok my beetle there was no relay in position 9. I removed all the other relays I could reach but still no good.
As mentioned in my other reply, removing the battery doesn’t help either as it seems to have its own peer source.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,275 Posts
Is it maybe an aftermarket system? I agree, I don't know of any sort of alternate power source for the alarm. Never had a problem with it after the battery was disconnected or removed.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Then the only way I can think of an alarm going off is an aftermarket system. You might check with the previous owner and see if he installed something.

Even that must have a power source that can be disconnected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How, can the horn work with the battery disconnected? I know, of no other power source; other, then the battery, in the engine compartment..... what am I missing?
That’s what I thought, until I removed the battery and the anti theft alarm started going off for the next 10 minutes.
I’ll try removing the battery again on Sunday, but I’m pretty sure it will happen again. Thanks for the advice though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then the only way I can think of an alarm going off is an aftermarket system. You might check with the previous owner and see if he installed something.

Even that must have a power source that can be disconnected.
Ok thanks for that. Good to know that you guys are just as confused as me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it maybe an aftermarket system? I agree, I don't know of any sort of alternate power source for the alarm. Never had a problem with it after the battery was disconnected or removed.
I don’t think so, but I will check with previous owner to confirm. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi experts!

This is my first post on here, so apologies if I break any of the unwritten rules, or make any newbie faux pas.

I am in the process of removing the engine for a complete overhaul of my 2 litre bug (2000 X-plate), but I cannot disable the anti-theft system. I’ve looked everywhere for the fuse box and relay diagrams, and none of the images I can find quite match what I’m seeing in my car.

In all of the information I have seen so far, it suggests that on the top of the relay box in position H or J there should be the relays for the anti theft...but there is nothing in those positions at all. In fact, the 4 relay positions at the top seem to be labelled A through D, instead of F through J.

I have removed a number of other relays but still the alarm goes off all the time. I don’t think any of the fuses in the side panel will help, but I’m starting to lose confidence that I can solve this...so please help!

I will even consider cutting a fewchosen wires if I have to...but i just need to disable the alarm so I can continue with my engine overhaul, without waking the whole street!

thanks!
Disconnect the battery and it won't be an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi experts!

thanks!
I agree, check the door. The locking mechanism could be mis-adjusted even. It may not be bad. Once I readjusted the locking part, in the door itself, I think 3 screws, and also the striker bolt, I was able to get mine to quit. I thought thw door was shut, but could pull it just a little bit, while inside and it would quit. A lot of tri and error, for me to get the right adjustment, but finally I was able to make it quit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts