NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I iz noob.I can has halp?
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster - please be nice! :eek:

I bought a used 2000 New Beetle hatchback and the trunk opened with switch and key when I first bought it. Got it home and went to get into trunk and no luck.

I do not have the FOB part to my switchblade key, just the key itself and the valet key.

I hear the switch mechanism attempt to open and then 3 sec later it sounds like it re-locks itself.

When I try with the switchblade key with the manual keyhole under the VW logo swivel plate, it sounds like it wants to unlock, but then that dreaded 3 seconds passes with nothing doing and it re-re-locks itself.

I have seen lots of posts about this and am not above climbing in the back seat and taking things apart, but was hoping for a DIY write up or YouTube(TM) VIDEO out there somewhere and hoped someone had one in their back pocket. I have not been able to find one yet so maybe I am not asking the crystal ball on the interwebs the with the right keywords. If anyone has a walkthru for breaking out of the beetle from the back seat I sure would appreciate it.

In other news, my fuel switch seems weak as well - it is a 2 person affair, I hire a small child to pull up on the fuel lid while I hit the switch and it opens like a charm. But flying solo is a problem. Again, saw some old threads by not a DIY, so if you have links, share away.

If there are no DIY's on this I might dive in with one, but would like to reap the benefits of someone else first.

Thanks all!

~ GreenBug'00 :cool:

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
p.s.

Just noticed DIY pinned directly above my post, in re: fuel door..... :eek:

In my defense, I was focused on the trunk. Reading away now on fuel door, but still need help with trunk. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You should be able to get the trunk open by pulling up on it as you activate the lock. The problem is that the hinges are supposed to have a preload on them so that the trunk lid pops up when the lock is released. There are 2 adjustment screws on the hinges that should be turned a little at a time (1/4 turn) until the lid will pop up on its own. See this thread:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/40788-any-way-make-rear-hatch.html

Edit: When I say "pops up", I mean that it will move up about an inch on its own.

·
Registered
67 Posts
And welcome to the "no open" club.

I picked up an '07 a few months back with the same problem.

Check on the "New Beetle Convertible" portion of this site for full details.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/54170-trunk-wont-open-even-manual-release.html

Anyway, the dealer had to pull the back seat, remove the old latch, and replace the whole shooting match. $250, luckily the previous owner agreed to pick up the cost.

I do have to take it back because the dealer didn't fix the red plastic "last ditch" cable for opening the boot.

If only they'd left the key lock on the boot....

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@red99 - thanks for the link and info. I read thru the entire thread, and don't see anything about when you are not able to get the trunk open AT ALL. I have tried gentle upwards pressure while hitting the button, slamming door with all windows rolled up, pushing down gently while trying to unlock, etc. I cannot get it open with key or door switch. The latch/handle under the vw emblem is loose and floppy as if it has no tension to it - don't know if that means anything. Any further tips or tricks to get to stage 1 - just getting the darn thing open, so that I can then look further into adjustments to those helper bolts? Thanks muchly!

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@roccaas - thanks also for your info. As noted to 'red99' I can't seem to get to it opening at all with any suggestions so far. Someone mentioned a "manual release thingy" in one of their posts - any clue about this?
I still can't get in at all - sounding like the latch is just done?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
@roccaas - thanks also for your info. As noted to 'red99' I can't seem to get to it opening at all with any suggestions so far. Someone mentioned a "manual release thingy" in one of their posts - any clue about this?
I still can't get in at all - sounding like the latch is just done?
It appears the emergency manual trunk release went into effect in Sept 2001, which would have been for the beginning of the 2002 model year cars. Anything older than 2002 model year would not likely have the emergency manual trunk release unless the manufacturer voluntarily installed them. Not sure if VW installed any before the 2002 model year law??

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...-trunk-release

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It sounds like you may have a different problem, which is that the electric actuator is not working. The usual problem is that the actuator releases the latch but when the door doesn't move on its own the latch relocks when the actuator releases.

I don't believe there is a manual release mechanism for the latch. The key under the emblem on the hatch is an electrical switch that operate the actuator. The lever that pops up is just a handle for gripping the hatch and is not connected to the latch at all.

The latch actuator is mounted under the emblem on the hatch. I took a look at my car and I think you should be able to get the trim piece off the hatch while it is closed. There are 2 screws which are easy to see and then a few clips that hold the panel on. It looks like it will pull out along the bottom and then lift up off the top, kind of like a door panel does. Once the panel is off you will see the actuator link for the latch. Pulling on that should release the lock.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds like you may have a different problem, which is that the electric actuator is not working. The usual problem is that the actuator releases the latch but when the door doesn't move on its own the latch relocks when the actuator releases.

I don't believe there is a manual release mechanism for the latch. The key under the emblem on the hatch is an electrical switch that operate the actuator. The lever that pops up is just a handle for gripping the hatch and is not connected to the latch at all.

The latch actuator is mounted under the emblem on the hatch. I took a look at my car and I think you should be able to get the trim piece off the hatch while it is closed. There are 2 screws which are easy to see and then a few clips that hold the panel on. It looks like it will pull out along the bottom and then lift up off the top, kind of like a door panel does. Once the panel is off you will see the actuator link for the latch. Pulling on that should release the lock.
Thanks for the suggestions - I am just getting back to this item. I don't really fit well in the trunk .... but my 19 year old son did try this and he said that the trim seems to be locked into the shut door as if the door itself is slammed onto it. He seems to think that you can't get the trim off without the door being open - sort of a catch 22 here. Does this seem right - is it possible we have to cut the trim to get at the actuator? I will try to have a look myself but wondering about any DIY links to show this process???? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
There are 2 screws that have to be removed. Then it pulls out at the bottom edge. It does snap in place along the bottom. You may need to pry with something to get it to pull out. Once the bottom edge is free, lift it off the lip at the top edge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Latch Actuator fuse?

I posted with a very similar problem and appreciated your information. As from what you describe there is a electrical switch operating the latch activator, is is possible there is a blown fuse and if so which one? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trunk Latch not working with FOB or interior switch. Beetle 2002

Hi I was wondering if somebody can help me out.
I just got a 2002 beetle 2.0 engine (37k miles) and the trunk wasn't working at all. What I did?
- Clean/fixed the cylinder, adjusted everything and now I can open it with the key. Central door locking system working.
- Since I had to pull everything apart I tested the motor behind the logo connecting it directly to the battery and it is working.
- I also tested the interior switch using it on the fuel cap release system/wires and the switch is ok too.

I believe I do not have power on the door for that particular switch, but the cables doesn't seem to be cut or broken. I read somewhere that there is a relay for the trunk on the 13 relay panel under the dashboard but I can't find which one it is or if this also applies to the beetle. Any ideas....relay, fuse?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts