NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bugs R Us
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:
No one wants to touch my 2010 beetle and change the oil! the drain plug is shot, and whoever changed it at the dealership where we bought the car,screwed the plug crookedly and very tight. Every technician who looked it doesn't want to touch it, and they all say i need new plug and probably oil pan, which i know and agree with, but neither money or time to do it myself does not allow for now. They changed my oil filter for free though.
o i bought one of those 12V oil extractors which was shipped to me by Walmart in open box and used and returned. One hose was missing, and i believe that was the "OUT" hose, so we just used a hose that i found in the garage and it fit perfectly. Pump itself, however, did not work, it didn't suck out a single drop of oil, and yes we warmed it up before trying. i figured the extractor is shot and returned to walmart. Hubby went to car parts store and got manual pump, and that was disaster in itself. It pumped about 2 quarts of oil, actually we pumped it, and it was quite a workout, and a messy one. It took about 2 hours to pump that much, because pump hose was constantly making vacuum, so oil was coming out drop by drop, and no matter what we tried, hose would just flatten out completely with every push of the pump. Then we quit and replaced the pumped out oil with fresh one and called it a day. Problem is that we have to change my oil, it's no longer oil, but rather a black sludge, and we always change oil in our cars regularly. I wanted to buy another oil extractor, 12V one, but i wanted to ask if there is a trick to these in making them work without creating vacuum and without hose flattening. People buy these left and right and change the oil just like that, i feel it should be fairly easy, but before we try again and make a mess again, i thought i might ask for advice :)
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure if your car has an oil level sensor in the oil pan???

If it does, you may be able to pull the oil level sensor in order to drain the oil

The oil pans on most of these engines can come off easily, not 100$ sure on your set up, but it is something to consider, pull and replace oil pan.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
My mechanic has a big industrial fancy extractor that work great. I'd go so far as to say it's awesome even. Maybe you could check around and find a local mechanic that has one? Mine is a German specialized auto shop and I know he said he has it because one of the German makes is set up with oil dipstick tube that goes all the way to the bottom of the oil pan so extracting completely with that system is a piece of cake (can't remember if it was BMW or Mercedes?). Either way, it had adapter tube to use in my Iggy so I could do a quick change after I got her. Maybe it's more of a German car thing? I don't know. I'd check around and find a mechanic that has an extractor. Somebody around there must.

I just had Iggy on a lift yesterday to change her oil and filter. The oil pan did look pretty cut and dry easy to replace. Maybe a mechanic could pull your plug and rethread the hole (oil pan's aluminum) with the understanding that it may not work and you will end up having to replace the pan?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts