VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 beetle and am replacing the battery.

I have a RossTech VCDS and when connected it shows connected but with “protocol kw1281“ not via CAN.

I only have the adaptions screen. I have looked at almost every screen to find a battery configuration to no avail. All the online help refers to the connection being via CAN.

Any help would be appreciated. Do I even need to set up a new battery? This one lasted 5 hrs so I consider myself lucky as it’s a two year Interstate.
Also - would converting to agm make a difference? If my software doesn’allow me to update the battery shall I assume I am better off with the exact same one?

Thanks,

Mark

· Registered
19,260 Posts
I believe the “BEM” or battery engine management; which required coding with a scan tool, was on later model VWs.

Ross Tech, has step by step coding info and a video going through the coding process:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the “BEM” or battery engine management; which required coding with a scan tool, was on later model VWs.

Ross Tech, has step by step coding info and a video going through the coding process:

Thanks billy - was hoping to catch your eye- I looked at that video and many others but I don’t seem to have the same screens is what I am getting at. My connections is not UDS or CAN, but kw 1281. I’m not sure what that means if anything. In the video they refer to the connection to be CAN or UDS but don’t mention what to do with mine. I have no “long adaption” screens. That seems to be where I would need to change things. I spend hours reading all the forum searches but can’t find why my screens look different.

Am I looking in the right place?

· Registered
19,260 Posts
What cable are you using; is it a generic knock off cable and vcds lite?

I believe the New Beetle uses k-line and later A5 2012+ models use CAN Bus:

I haven’t heard anyone needing to code a new battery; on thr 1998-2010 New Beetle, as there are no battery energy management system capability built into these cars. So, the screen may not come up in vcds; as it doesn’t apply to the New Beetle?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Billy - Thanks

This is the cable I used. I downloaded the latest update on my laptop also. This was given to me by a friend who purchased it for an Audi some years ago. I have only used this a few times to diagnose a misfire issue. If I recall I might have changed how the door looks time out in the past also.

After much angst I called the local VW dealer and spoke to the service department and to my surprise, he was willing to provide me some info. He stated that not all beetles need to be reprogrammed and confirmed as you thought, my car probably does not have a bem or require the code to be recorded.

So tonight I replaced the battery with an AGM and even though it has a sticker for the bem, I just installed it and whola, everything worked just fine. Even my radio stations stayed programmed :).

Still a little myphed about the Ross-Tech…

Light Audio equipment Electrical wiring Cable Gadget

· Registered
19,260 Posts
That is a older discontinued cable; should work with a new beetle but has limitations on some later models with can bus?

If you ever wanted to upgrade; to the latest version i believe ross tech gives you a upgrade discount and you send the old cable in for credit.

The older cables are nice; as they have no vin # limit on them, like the newer ones do, as they implemented a tiered higher pricing structure on them.

· Registered
2,115 Posts
As alway billymade - you are very helpful! I will turn in my old unit and get the 50 dollar credit.

Thanks so much!

Go over to tdiclub and put your cable up for sale the unlimited older cables sell for $100-150

Everyone wants the older unlimited vin number cables.

· Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2010 beetle and am replacing the battery. I have a RossTech VCDS and when connected it shows connected but with “protocol kw1281“ not via CAN. I only have the adaptions screen. I have looked at almost every screen to find a battery configuration to no avail. All the online help refers to the connection being via CAN. Any help would be appreciated. Do I even need to set up a new battery? This one lasted 5 hrs so I consider myself lucky as it’s a two year Interstate. Also - would converting to agm make a difference? If my software doesn’allow me to update the battery shall I assume I am better off with the exact same one? Thanks, Mark
Not totally sure of the problem, (1) just buy the standard battery, AGM's have the same warranty, proof that they are not that much more durable or worth the extra dollars. (2) when you place the battery into the battery holder, assuming you are in front of the car facing the engine bay - - the Red cable/connection (positive) is on the left and the black cable is on the right (negative). MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE NEGATIVE CABLE ON LAST ... AND IF YOU EVER HAVE TO DISCONNCT MAKE SURE IT IS THE FIRST ...

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not totally sure of the problem, (1) just buy the standard battery, AGM's have the same warranty, proof that they are not that much more durable or worth the extra dollars. (2) when you place the battery into the battery holder, assuming you are in front of the car facing the engine bay - - the Red cable/connection (positive) is on the left and the black cable is on the right (negative). MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE NEGATIVE CABLE ON LAST ... AND IF YOU EVER HAVE TO DISCONNCT MAKE SURE IT IS THE FIRST ...
Thanks Giddo,

As you can see from my post #5 we are all set. I did go with the AGM. The cost difference was small so I decided to try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts