NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to replace my fuel filter and I can't get the lines to release!! I tried to squeeze gently with pliers and it appears the "tab" is stuck and won't release. any tricks to persuade them to release. any help would be great and thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You have to find the right direction to squeeze in. Pushing in on the connection, squeezing and then pulling out may help. Be careful, I broke mine trying to release them and believe me, you don't want to do that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After checking out the video I tried again using a srewdriver to pry them (the line and the filter) apart and it worked. When I put the new filter in felt a soft snap or click, assuming it was "seated" I tried to pull them apart and the line came right off without squeezing anything so I put it back on started it up and have no leaks. Should they be that "loose" or should they require squeezing again?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You shouldn't be able to pull it apart without pressing the tab. Check to see if both ears that grab the fuel filter tube are still attached to the tab. Also, the tab should be in its fully outward, released position when you put the fitting onto the filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No ears,damn, looks like it's gonna be new lines. Is that something I can do or should just bite the bullet(and open my wallet) and have my local indy swap them out?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I used a tie-wrap to secure mine. The fitting has 4 slots in it where the tab & ears piece went. I ran the tie-wrap in and out through 2 holes on one side then in and out through the other 2 holes. The fitting has to be in position on the filter so the tie-wrap ends up on the inside of the bump on the filter tube. Mine has held up for years now, but I make no recommendation that anyone else try this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts