NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, on my new (to me) 2001 1.8t I had to replace the water pump. I've been working on it for two days, but I've run into a problem that I can't find anywhere else.

How do you get the water pump out if the "wiggle and pull hard" method doesn't work? I'm a big guy...almost 300lbs. I've been wiggling, pulling, jumping up and down, jerking...all for about an hour. Hasn't budged. I'm afraid the previous owner may have replaced before and used a sealant on it. I know he did on the thermostat. And through the thermostat I've confirmed that the plastic water pump is shattered.

So...thoughts? I'm getting desperate. I'm about half an hour away from going after it with a sledge hammer. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
Sometimes they can be kinda stuck on there; you could try a mallet or plastic faced dead blow hammer, hit it around different angles on the pulley portion of the water pump to get it started. I think I also used a small pry bar to pop it off; they can be sort of hard... need some shock or leverage to get it going...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll give that a shot. I've been considering for an hour or so, but I wanted to make sure someone else had done so successfully before I did it and messed something up.

Appreciate the responses. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, prybars didn't work. Neither did screwdrivers or chisels. Devised a system of steel wire and pulleys. Didn't work either.

2 pound sledgehammer on the gear popped it right out. Only took two hits. :D lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts