NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Finch the BUG LVR!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I was wondering if you could help. I own a 99 new beetle and it keeps getting vandalized. Spray painted, spit on, stuff thrown at it... I was wondering if any of you knew of an alarm that was just to keep people away from the car. They are not trying to get into it, they're just vandalizing it any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
If that was mine, a video camera would be the alarm. Plus, a motion detector, and a gun. :mad:

No alarm is going to detect spitting, spray-painting jerks, but "smile, you're on candid camera, jerk!", and maybe something can be done. :runnethov :shoot: :bs:

Best of luck to you.

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
yellow99 said:
Hey Guys, I was wondering if you could help. I own a 99 new beetle and it keeps getting vandalized. Spray painted, spit on, stuff thrown at it... I was wondering if any of you knew of an alarm that was just to keep people away from the car. They are not trying to get into it, they're just vandalizing it any help would be great. Thanks!
Something like that happened around the corner from where I live. Someone or some people walked down the street spraying the driver sides of cars parked on the street with pink paint. If it happened to me I would be sooo pissed that I would.... well nevermind I'll just leave it up to your imagination. Let's just say an aluminum bat, saran wrap and some duct tape would be involed, no guns they're to easy to trace(well atleast my registered guns would):firedevil.

Do you park your car in the street or in a carport? and what's the distance between where you park your car and your home?

·
Finch the BUG LVR!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well a gun might help me... I park in front of my house, on the street until about 10pm then I park in the neighbours drive way. we don't have enough space for all of our vehicles. We installed sensor lights but I still get hit. The distance from my car to the house maybe 30 feet, it's a normal city lot.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Cameras most certainly are about your only solution. You can get spiteful, however. Setting up some video cameras inside the car, as well as setting up some motion-detector lights say under the car so that they are directly illuminated, and if you're really crafty.. working in some type of automatic spray gun action that's set off by the same motion sensor that triggers the lights (bonus points if the camera only power on to record at the same time.. tho i'd leave them rollin the nonstop). Just my suggestion.

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
I have a buddy that parks his truck on the front lawn right outside his bedroom window. Reason for this is that he lives in a bad neighborhood. Surprisingly nothing happens to his lawn, it's nice and green cosidering he parks on it. You can always do that or you can always get a surveillance VCR or DVR(Digital Video Recorder) and connect a camcorder to it. Then set it up in your home to where it looks out to your car, zoom in on the car enough to where you would recognize someone if they got close to it. Then just make sure you adjust your motion lights to sensitive and to point them at the cars direction. That way you have a better shot of whoever messing wiith your car. If you catch them in the act then you can call the police give them the tape and have them handle it or you can always take matters into you hands(not recommended unless you're really evil like me:firedevil) The other thing you could do is buy yourself a BB or Pellet Air Rifle and do the "Sniper" thing take pot shots at whoever messes with your car(I would). Just make sure you don't hit your car.

I'm a nice guy just don't mess with my family, friends or property and we'll get along just fine.:) Just my $0.02...

·
Finch the BUG LVR!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I know this is an old post, however heres a picture of the last time it was hit.

Here's a closeup so you can see how it got onto the third breaklight and onto the chrome emblem as well

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
That is soooo mean. I'll never understand people who would do something like that. I think there is an alarm that could be installed that "talks " to people who step too close. I would set up a booby :rolleyes: trap to catch those sob's. It would involve paint and dog poop:p

·
2015 Acura TLX
5,429 Posts
I'd be reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaally reeeaally angry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(self edited before posting)

·
Finch the BUG LVR!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i was pissed, luckily with lots of elbow grease and "Goof Off" similar to goo gone, we got it off, and re-waxed the back end.

I was looking for an alarm that had a motion sensor, but I've heard that UNGO alarms are supposed to be good too.

Any ideas of who makes a good alarm?

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
What you're looking for is an alarm with what's called a "proximity sensor". You should be able to Google "proximity car alarm", or similar, and come up with many links. I've heard Clifford has a nice setup for their proximity sensor that allows you to remotely control the sensitivity... and Clifford has always done right by me quality-wise (though some others would disagree). But there are many other manufacturers.

There may actually be a way to wire a proximity sensor into the factory NB comfort module, too. There was a thread a couple of years ago on the old forums that talked about retrofitting an impact or motion sensor into the factory security harness (a little mercury switch that plugged into an existing connector by the shifter, if memory serves). And I'm pretty sure the Euro NBs already have a proximity sensor built in as standard equipment (you disable it via a switch/button by the driver's seat seatbelt anchor). So it seems like the system has the "smarts" for it... it might just need an extra bit of hardware. Not sure that the Euro system has the sensitivity you're looking for, though (I'm pretty sure it'll only sense a break in it's "bubble" if someone is actually reaching into the car). A third-party aftermarket system may be the only option if you're looking to sense activity outside the car itself.

That said, I'm not sure an alarm is really going to do anything for you. Most folks ignore car alarms now-a-days anyway. And by the time you heard it, and recognized it as your own, the vandals would be gone (and would've still had the time to tag your car anyway).

I think the suggested video camera is the only way to catch these folks, and stop the vandalism.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts