NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 1.8t, the car cranks, and the pump primes, but he just wont start.

I dont think he is getting fuel into the engine compartment. There is pressure going into the black fuel line, but it is not getting to the pressure fitting in the engine compartment.

Things I have done:
Checked the fuse
Installed new relay
Installed used fuel pump(Primes, so I would assume it works)

Next on my list:
Filter

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I have a post on FB, but I figure I would get more help here!

Thanks!

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
If the fuel filter has never been changed out before? It's cheap insurance.

Let's start by doing some basics. (And yes I'm also leaning to the crank sensor...but just to eliminate the fuel concerns)

You can always pick up or "rent" from most auto parts suppliers a fuel pressure gauge. Every car with fuel injection has along the system a method of checking pressure. The kit, when used correctly? Will show you what the pressure(s) are. And also can give hints as far as the general condition of the entire fuel system. It's a pretty handy tool to use, once you get the nack.

The car needs 3 things to run:

Fuel
Air
Spark (at the right time of course)

I would urge the use of a spark tester of some type to see if you have a good strong spark available. If no spark? The consider what controls your spark. The computer with it's inputs and outputs. And if the Crank Sensor isn't working? You won't have any spark, because the computer won't know the crank is spinning!

I would also invest in a decent or even basic code tool. If the crank sensor has been acting up? It might have a code stored prior to it failing all at once.

Just need to do the basic detective work first. Throwing parts at problems can get rather expensive.

S-

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
How do you know your getting fuel pressure to the "black" fuel line?

Where you are located, you could have a case of base fuel. Ethanol absorbs water and when the temps drop then the water can separate out and cause problems.

A $3 can of starting fluid can give a quick idea if there is a fuel related problem.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Codes:

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0261: Cylinder 1 Injector Circuit Low
P0267: Cylinder 3 Injector Circuit Low
P0270: Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Low
P0264: Cylinder 2 Injector Circuit Low
P0445: Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted
P0037: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0418: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0010: "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)
P0414: Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve "A" Circuit Shorted

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you know your getting fuel pressure to the "black" fuel line?

Where you are located, you could have a case of base fuel. Ethanol absorbs water and when the temps drop then the water can separate out and cause problems.

A $3 can of starting fluid can give a quick idea if there is a fuel related problem.
I am getting gas to the motor, but the injectors arent firing... I dont have starting fluid, but it did run with a spray of carb cleaner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This is some sort of electrical issue I would be guessing.

Possible a bad ground?

I know there was a similar case here recently, but I do not know if there was a solution.

I will try to link it here in a moment.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**UPDATE**

I purchased a new Crank Sensor, and had it installed. Nothing. So , a friend went out on a limb and re-installed the original Fuel Pump Relay, and he fired right up!

Thanks for all your help. :)

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
**UPDATE**

I purchased a new Crank Sensor, and had it installed. Nothing. So , a friend went out on a limb and re-installed the original Fuel Pump Relay, and he fired right up!

Thanks for all your help. :)
Excellent! What was the brand of the replacement fuel pump relay so we can stay far away from that brand? edit: Actually while I'm thinking of it? It could be a good relay, but a lousy connection where the relay plugs in. Just not to trash a "brand" due to wonky connection <G> But as the ol' saying goes? If it's not broken? Don't fix it!

S-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts