NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2004 NB w/ 53,000 mi. Last month a she was driving around town the car started to die every time she had
to stop. The car would start agian and as long as she was going 30 mph or more car ran fine..if she had to stop or slow
down below 30 ..the engine would sputter and die again.

The car has never done anything like this before..it just suddenly happened. She finally got home it home and an hour later I was able to check it out. The car started right away and as I went for a test drive found no problem. I thoght the problem could be a bad battery or alternator. I had the battery checked and it was bad...so I installed a new one and have not had any episodes until today. It is doing the same thing runs fine as long as going faster than 30 mph any slower car dies....Any thoughts ?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Some random thoughts. Vacuume hose leak. Dirty/cracked coil pack. Fuel pressure regulator/vacuume hose to the fpr. Stuck EGR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check both..thanx for the replys. My wife informed me yesterday that she had left her ipod plugged in to her FM tuner and possibly had run the battery down. As she has driven farther the problem went away and it runs fine/idles fine like it always did. This leads me to believe it is power related and as she drove the alternator charged the battery back up.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Is the CEL on? A (intermittantly) bad engine RPM sensor (a.k.a. crankshaft position sensor) could cause this too. It would throw a code though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts