NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car dies when the drivers door is opened with the car idling. I drove it a few times last winter. I would start it and get out while it warmed up. Anyone know what is causing this? I replaced the door latch. It did not correct the problem. It is a 2000 1.8t

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
door control module

Thanks for the reply vette, I read the post you refered to before I replaced the lock module. I misunderstood. I thought the DLM and the DCM were the same thing. I may have wasted my money on this one. I looked inside the DLM and did not have the solder promlems mentioned in the post. So the DCM could be the problem? How would I diagnose this so I don't waste more money?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks for the reply vette, I read the post you refered to before I replaced the lock module. I misunderstood. I thought the DLM and the DCM were the same thing. I may have wasted my money on this one. I looked inside the DLM and did not have the solder promlems mentioned in the post. So the DCM could be the problem? How would I diagnose this so I don't waste more money?
The functions can be read with VAG-COM equipment, lacking that, you have to get to the solder connections, visual inspection may reveal the problem, and then they can be checked with a multi-meter. As said, it does sound DCM related, but not sure why the car would die when the door is opened (many strange things result from a bad DCM). Is there any mention of same in the Vortex thread I linked? I haven't read it in months and months.

M.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem. I changed my fuel pump relay and then my car dies when the door is opened and will not start if the door is open. I switch back to the old one and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have a similar problem. I changed my fuel pump relay and then my car dies when the door is opened and will not start if the door is open. I switch back to the old one and it works fine.
I think there are issues with a lot of 409 relays out on the market. I also read about the relay being changed and the number not being (didn't understand that). I have a funny feeling this has to do with aftermarket Chinese CRAP!

But, I have to ask. If the old one works, why did you change it out? Inquiring minds GOTTA' know!

I hope the OPer sees this, I know opening the door sends a signal to the relay, which in turn pre-primes the fuel pump, but I'm at a loss as to why a bad relay would reverse it's operation and open the fuel pump circuit when the door is open. Obviously what is happening, at least in your case.

M.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
409 relay

Vette, thanks for the heads up. I have replaced my relay with one I got from oreilley's. Maybe I have the same problem. Come to think of it, the OE relay had 1 more pin than the replacement. OEM relay on the left. You can see there is a pin missing, upper right of the photo on the right. I believe you are correct about the chinese junk.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thread from tdaviscma10

I read the thread from tdaviscma10. In the last sentance of post #06, it reads "Also the part number of the original fuel pump relay is 1J0906383, the new part number is 1J0906383C. The old part had 8 pin and the new one only has 7. I called vw and they said it was superseded and that was the correct an only part I can get."

This is kind of confusing. I think I saved the old relay. I am going to try it. I found the pic of the 8 pin at http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=dl4eqijieg5npyapq5pdak45&[email protected]&[email protected] &year=2000&cid=fuel pump [email protected] pump relay&[email protected] Pump Relay. Maybe they still have the OE type. I sent them an email.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/53034-9-engine-code-ugh.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts