VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 2000 Beetle with 160,000 miles.

Last week, my car turned off while I was parallel parking. It took a few tries to turn my car back on and when it finally did turn on, the check engine light was on. I brought it to a mechanic who said they were 95% sure it was the fuel pump relay (even though they replaced that part last June). They wanted to charge me 300 bucks to have that done, and after doing dome research, I found it was about 40 dollars and a half hour of work. So I took my car home and replaced it myself. After switching out the fuel pump relay, I tried starting my car and it wouldn't start. I switched it back to the old relay and it started. I switched it back to the new one, gave it a few minutes, and then it started.

My friend at work has the diagnostic thing that plugs under your dash, so I asked him to reset my codes so the check engine light would turn off. He tried, but it couldn't read any codes. He thought that was strange and tried to start the car but it wouldn't start. I gave it a half hour and my car started up first try. It's been starting since but the check engine light is still on and I know there's an issue so it makes me uncomfortable.

Some more background; the car always cranks, but just doesn't start. I don't fear my car shutting down while I drive (I think it shut down while parking because I have transmission issues and it shut down as soon as I switched to reverse), I'm only scared it won't start back up and therefore leave me stranded. Also, I saw on another forum someone mentioned the crank position sensor? But the original poster never replied to say if that worked.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Well, first of all; the "409" fuel pump relay, MUST be a genuine VW part and that is probably, why your new one isn't working. The aftermarket fuel pump relays; do not have enough components on the internal board (parts are missing) and thus, the no start issue. Bite the bullet; get a genuine VW part and you should be ok.

Now, whether or not; that was/is the reason, you are having a no start issue, remains to be seen.

The common issues; for a no start problem, typically break down into ignition or fuel delivery problems. For the fuel; the relay can fail, the pump can die or there could be other issues in the fuel delivery steam. For a dying fuel pump; the car can start fine when cold and then when it warms up the problems start and the car can be hard to start or will not start at all, then when the engine cools off it will start fine. The degree and severity of the problem; can be related to how badly the pump is failing.

For the ignition; the crank/engine speed sensor, can fail and cause a intermittent no start issue or the car will just die when driving. The problem; will typically happen, when the car warms up and subside, when the car cools off or will start up again, right after dying.

I would start with a genuine VW fuel pump relay and scan the car for trouble codes, they may give you some clues as to the problem. A bad crank sensor will typically throw a trouble code but a bad fuel pump, can throw lean codes or misfires. Start with that and we can go from there, thanks. :)

PS: give us more info about your New Beetle: e.g. engine, trans, etc., that way we can give you some links to the service manuals to help you with your repairs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks billymade! I'll have to see if what I got was a genuine VW part. I know it looked exactly the same as what was already in my car, but if that also isn't a VW part, maybe that's why it didn't last a full year? I got the part from NAPA, but I'll have to look into it.

Also my car is a 2.0 liter, non-turbo, automatic trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts