VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello beetle lovers,
I hope you all doing great.

In July 2020 I bought a new beetle 1.8T AWV 2000 and I started working intensively on the car. Step by step and I decided to do car insulation because of multiple reasons...Car insulation is almost done but I still need to do it in the trunk of the car.

I decide to remove the factory cotton insulation undercarpet and I cover it with a foam sponge, It's much much better and quieter inside the car.I have to place foam insulation in the trunk part where ist the wheels, but there I'll do it with foam/rubber insulation but with aluminum foil because of water.

I would really appreciate if anyone knows how to remove this plastic here.

Thank you, everyone!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, @01tdicommuter thank you for the comment. Definitely is much better, I still need to finish the trunk and headliner. Also on the back seat, I have to do insulation on the panels,I'll post some photos when I finish.I'm quite surprised about sound insulation. I removed the factory insulation and I worry about that...Actually that was good choice,current sponge/rupper is much better.

Hey, @antho thanks for your question. For now, I spend 12 x 1.5mm alubutyl 70cm x 50cm = 4.2 square meter.Most of this I spent on the doors, because I did it in the two layers on the outside of the door and inside under panel, as you can see in the photos below.Also, I spent 9 x 2mm alubutyl 70cm x 50cm = 3.15 square meters, and most of them I used on the floor.I have to finish the headliner, hood, and trunk I'll need around 3 square meters to finish that. That is just the first layer, but you have a sense how much material roughly you need for something like this.

@raycond
Thank you for your kind words.Yes indeed. Unfortunately, that was one of the good options for me. I didn't want to experiment with cheap materials and redone after a year or two.Friend of mine had a lot of trouble with cheap materials. For example alubutyl I bought branded, but sponge/rubber insulation is actually raw unbranded material that I purchased directly from the factory that is producing that kind of material, which is much cheaper than branded one.

Thanks, everyone,
Djordje

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello beetle lovers,

In July 2020 I bought a new beetle 1.8T AWV 2000 and I started working intensively on the car. Step by step and I decided to do car insulation because of multiple reasons...Car insulation is almost done but I still need to do it in the trunk of the car.

View attachment 251804
View attachment 251805
View attachment 251806
View attachment 251807
View attachment 251808
View attachment 251809
View attachment 251810

View attachment 251812

I decide to remove the factory cotton insulation undercarpet and I cover it with a foam sponge, It's much much better and quieter inside the car.I have to place foam insulation in the trunk part where ist the wheels, but there I'll do it with foam/rubber insulation but with aluminum foil because of water.

View attachment 251813

I would really appreciate if anyone knows how to remove this plastic here. View attachment 251814

Thank you, everyone!
Can you share a link of where you bought the insulation please.
I'm thinking and doing that to my beetle too.
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello beetle lovers,

View attachment 251804
View attachment 251805
View attachment 251806
View attachment 251807
View attachment 251808
View attachment 251809
View attachment 251810

View attachment 251812

View attachment 251813

I would really appreciate if anyone knows how to remove this plastic here. View attachment 251814

Thank you, everyone!
I forgot to mention, "It looks Awesome!"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to mention, "It looks Awesome!"
Hey @elosochingonreyes
Thank you for your kind words! I'm happy to help. I bought them in the UK, Vibrofiltr - Materiały do izolacji akustycznej samochodów but I guess you can find some nice ones in the USA as well.Not this particular brand, but something similar.They are all based on the same technology.Alubutyl

Here you can see some of the most common brands in USA and you can find them easily.
Best Automotive Sound Deadening Insulation: Aim for a Quiet Ride layer I did is the sponge/rubber that is the name of the material. If you google it you can easily find some in USA as well.

Cheers,
Djordje

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nice job 👌 I did my 2015 for audio reasons. I have only done the doors and rear quarters and side's of the hatchback area. It made a huge difference in just those places. I'm going to be doing the floor and hatchback lid later when I run my 1/0 wire to the back for the audio. Is there a reason why you're doing this, like me ? Or just for the benefit of the insulation?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello beetle lovers,

View attachment 251804
View attachment 251805
View attachment 251806
View attachment 251807
View attachment 251808
View attachment 251809
View attachment 251810

View attachment 251812

View attachment 251813

Thank you, everyone!
Hey @elosochingonreyes
Thank you for your kind words! I'm happy to help. I bought them in the UK, Vibrofiltr - Materiały do izolacji akustycznej samochodów but I guess you can find some nice ones in the USA as well.Not this particular brand, but something similar.They are all based on the same technology.Alubutyl

Here you can see some of the most common brands in USA and you can find them easily.
Best Automotive Sound Deadening Insulation: Aim for a Quiet Ride layer I did is the sponge/rubber that is the name of the material. If you google it you can easily find some in USA as well.

Cheers,
Djordje
Thank you!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey everyone,
I hope you're doing well.

I wanted to share some updates with you about insulation.I finished my roof and I'm almost there :D beetle is done:)

All the best,
Djordje

1 - 20 of 29 Posts