NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. The previous owner of my 2001 GLX did not keep up with the scheduled maintenance. And me being a college student, did not have the money to keep up with it either. Basically, I kept up with the oil changes and fixed problems that came up. Now I am out of school with cash in hand, and I want to do everything I can to preserve my car mechanically. What would you guys recommend I do first? everyone has been talking about "timing belt" service b/c of the high mileage the car has. Should I take care of that first? What else should I look for, or do at this point? The car works well, its just that I have noticed a decrease in performance.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do not wait on the timing belt - that can be a costly mistake. I just purchased a 2000 GLX that the previous owner had the timing belt break on at 81000 miles. The last owner spent over $5800 replacing the engine.... (seems high to me but receipts were $2895 for engine (used with 30,000 mi) and $3100 for install).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I called one place (highly recommended private mechanic) and he said the work would cost $750.00. But it would be a two-fer, I would also get my water pump replaced as well (since it is right behind the the timing belt area, and if it goes out I would be putting another $600-700 to fix it b/c of the work that goes into it.) And it goes out about the same time as the timing belt. Called the VW dealership, and they want $650.00 for timing belt service. And if I want to do the water pump, its another $180.00 bucks. So about $830.00 is what I am looking at. So what do you guys think???? Jeez, that is a lot of money.....

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
The mechanic that you talked to is spot-on. DO NOT change the timing belt without replacing the water pump. The price you were quoted seems in-line to me. The only question to ask is if the replacement water pump has a metal impeller. You definitely want to go that route. My $.02....

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Pay it. Sounds like decent prices (amazingly expensive isn't it?). I've done it myself and if you're not super handy w/a wrench, it's well worth the $ to have someone else do it.

I wouldn't let the dealership touch the car though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Call some local vw repair shops. I am unsure on the 1.8T but my the 2.0 that we have was quoted at two shops as $450 to change with water pump.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got the low down on the entire work order, and this is what I get for $750.00 (+ or - $20):

Timing belt and accessory belts replaced, ****hyrdraulic tensioner removed and replaced with stud***, ***tensioner roller replaced with a mechanical one that is eccentric***, coolant added, water pump replaced with plastice OEM one. As per what VDUBYA suggeseted about a water pump with a metal impeller. The shop doesn't recommend them, since they fail just as much as the plastic OEM and if the bearing goes bad it can damage other components. Sounded like a legit response, since if I wanted a metal one they would have to locate one (don't do many of them)

There goes my savings. Can I sit on this a bit longer (after christmas?), the car is at 95,000 miles?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
roamerr said:
Call some local vw repair shops. I am unsure on the 1.8T but my the 2.0 that we have was quoted at two shops as $450 to change with water pump.
What I have understood is that the 1.8t engine is more labor intensive, thus the higher price. But this was the only place people on the forum recommended.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
I recently had my timing belt service done with all the parts.
My mechanic used a new OEM plastic water pump. I asked about why not the metal ones, and I was told that the plastic ones are lighter and recommended and used as replacements.
Since my original one taken out at 85k miles was in great shape still, I'm fine with the plastic one.
I know the earlier ones may have had problems and the new replacement plastic pumps should be more durable.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i just got my timing belt done at my local mechanic.
parts: $190
labor: $430

see this thread for more info:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1794

i got all my parts from www.ecstuning.com and a lot of orgers here will recommend that place. buy your own parts, if you can. and shop around. i opted not to take my car to the dealer for the timing belt change and probably saved $150 - $200. i got my service done at 89K.

also, look around on these forums and the old newbeetle.org forums - there's tons of info about the timing belt. good luck!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
jazzcat said:
alot of shops wont warranty work if you bring your own parts in though..just something to look out for
this is true, good point.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
jazzcat said:
alot of shops wont warranty work if you bring your own parts in though..just something to look out for
Yet another good reason to do all work yourself. :)

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
joshuah said:
So I got the low down on the entire work order, and this is what I get for $750.00 (+ or - $20):

Timing belt and accessory belts replaced, ****hyrdraulic tensioner removed and replaced with stud***, ***tensioner roller replaced with a mechanical one that is eccentric***, coolant added, water pump replaced with plastice OEM one. As per what VDUBYA suggeseted about a water pump with a metal impeller. The shop doesn't recommend them, since they fail just as much as the plastic OEM and if the bearing goes bad it can damage other components. Sounded like a legit response, since if I wanted a metal one they would have to locate one (don't do many of them)

There goes my savings. Can I sit on this a bit longer (after christmas?), the car is at 95,000 miles?
Well I agree,if a bearing goes It's going to cause problems regardless of the impeller material. I've just read several horror stories concerning the plastic impellers disintigrating at an early age. As far as waiting, I would have them inspect the serpentine belt. Mine was showign wear at 70,000 miles. Several folks have pushed it as far as you though. What's your comfort level?

·
Registered
128 Posts
joshuah said:

The price is about right. If you're mechanical enough and inclined to do the work yourself. The cost should be around $325-$350, which also includes 3 liters of G12 coolant, a fuel filter and S/H. I bought the Ultimate Kit from ECSTuning.

Heads up about replacing the auto tensioner with a manual type: you would have to inspect/adjust the tension yourself every 10-15k.

Personally, I'd go with a metal-impeller coolant pump. The bearing shouldn't be a problem but the plastic impeller itself can break prematurely.

I did this work on my NB at 100k and everything seemed in decent condition. T-belt was stretched but hasn't cracked or fractured. The original plastic coolant pump was still whole. But 100k is pushing it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts