NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in a 2004 automatic. When changing from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, the car seems to hesitate and jerk forward. At that time the RPM jumps, then after the jerk RPM goes back down. The problem doesn't happen when the engine is cold, so for the first few minutes of driving there's no problem.

Is this a valve body problem or could it be something else?

Thanks!

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Most likely the valve body in the automatic is going bad. Do a search on the subject and you'll find a whole host of information on it. It's a bit spendy to fix, and the stealership will try and gouge a new transmission out of you.

S-

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
This is posted in the wrong thread, you don't have a 2.0T.

But anyway... where are you located? I'm doing a 5 speed swap soon and will have a perfectly good 01M auto for sale. ;)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello,

I'm in a 2004 automatic. When changing from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, the car seems to hesitate and jerk forward. At that time the RPM jumps, then after the jerk RPM goes back down. The problem doesn't happen when the engine is cold, so for the first few minutes of driving there's no problem.

Is this a valve body problem or could it be something else?

Thanks!
The early model New Beetle's (1998-2004) are pretty much known for the worst automatic transmissions that VW ever came up with. Have you changed your transmission fluid yet? If not I would do that ASAP and see if that improves your issue. More than likely your valve body and internal transmission harness are to blame. Both very failure prone in those older Automatics. The fluid change can't hurt but more than likely it's just a band aid and eventually you will need to replace the valve body and transmission harness. If you do it yourself you can save on labor and find a rebuilt valve body for about $400-500 bucks and the harness for another $100-$150 bucks. The fluid is another $100+ bucks. So if you are handy you can do it yourself and get away with about $750 Dollars. If you can't find a shop that doesn't rip you off and charge you an arm and a leg in labor. But start with the cheapest option first and try a fluid change. It may improve things a bit.
Before ordering the transmission fluid change kit make sure which transmission you have. Some Convertibles in 2004 already came with the new 6 speed tiptronic transmission. Most Coupes still had the old 4 speed crapomatic. My guess you still have the 4 speed automatic. However, if you do have a convertible there is a good chance that you do have the newer tranny in your car. ESC tuning usually has pretty good prices on VW maintenance items. Make sure you get the kit with the Filter and the drain plug and the gasket. Good Luck!
OEM / Performance / Maintenance / Repair / Replacement Parts and kits for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche and Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

1 - 5 of 5 Posts